Buying a flugelhorn.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackTheMusician, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I had a flugel that I didn't need and was talked into selling it to a friend, who as a professional musician did need it. I regretted it as soon as he drove away with it. Few months later I get asked to play in a theatre pit for Les Mis, and there in the first trumpet part Flugel! So I did need one after all. Played the flugel parts on a cornet. That was the spur to buy another flugel, that I still don't need, but want. Love the sound of my Kanstul 1525 and won't make the mistake of selling again.

2. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Hmm, the flugel did harm my trumpet playing. But I have to admit that I was constantly overblowing the flugel to get some sound it wouldn't give me.
    After playing the flugel for some time I couldn't play the trumpet next day.

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Thanks - another model to keep on radar (alongside Gary's Kanstul).

--bumblebee

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Maker

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    In that case, it was not the flugel, but your misuse of it. And that is the Twelfth Commandment (You know the Eleventh Commandment? "Thou shalt not be foolish enough to get caught."): "Thou shalt not abuse your Flugel."

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Maker

7. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Bupkis.

8. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    I don't know for sure whether I abused the flugel or not but I was quite sure I could not get the sound out of it that I wanted.
    I have been a trombone player for 25 years so I had enough of it. To my surprise I find here (and on TH) a sturdy group of trumpet players who have secret dreams of the velvet gentleman's sound.
    I don't mind, play your big bored and big belled soprano tuba's but don't ask me to believe the outcome.

9. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Interesting word that I don't know. Looked in Webster's New World Dictionary but nope.

Everything OK with you?

10. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    edit