Buying a flugelhorn.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackTheMusician, Oct 3, 2014.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Maker

3. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Perfectly fine. Thank you for asking.

4. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Come on, you don't have to take it personally that I don't like your toys. Really no reason for aggression, it's only about an ugly obesity horn.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Really? This devolved into an argument about whether or not playing flugel can harm one's trumpet playing?

I'll bite. I both agree and disagree with the idea that playing another horn of a different type can have an affect on your trumpet playing. In my experience, every horn has its own center, and likewise, every mouthpiece of a different size gets played by someone in a slightly different way. The body can adapt quite quickly to even small stimuli, so if a person were to make a cold-turkey changeup from trumpet to flugel, and then only play flugel for a few weeks, the trumpet is going to feel a bit different when you come back to it. You may have to readjust to it - a process that might take a few days. But will it "harm" your trumpet playing? It never seemed to harm mine.

6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK

Being a trombone player makes your opinion about musical instruments worthless. ROFL

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm the lead trumpet player. I play high and loud because that's all I know how to do.

bumblebee likes this.
  8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Maker

9. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
  10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Some of us know bupkis about flugelhorns. Others of us know bupkis about bupkis. I'm probably in the latter category. ;-)

That being said, I like Patrick's reply. Here's my original reply .... "If you're going to be good on the flugelhorn (and play in-tune), you'll need to devote regular practice to it. I don't think this hurts my trumpet playing. But it takes some practice time away from my trumpet."

Mike