Buying a flugelhorn.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackTheMusician, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    mgcoleman, glad that you mentioned your valve oil, it's a real treat to know that.

2. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Passive aggressive doesn't become you, Franklin.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Tabylou8 appears to be confused. He thought we were talking about flugelhorns.

He temporarily forgot that we're trumpet players. We'd much rather talk about ourselves. ;-)

Mike

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  6. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Are you sure that's right about the 154 having the biggest bell? As far as I know that number refers to bell size, and there's a 155 up to a 159.

7. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    By the way, this thread has gone way off topic. There's some real shit being talked when all the OP wanted was to know whether he should get a flugel.

8. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    In that case there is no reason at all for an American to buy the 154. :D

BTW I enjoyed the meme play and sorry that I was a little bit provocative on the flugel thing, I like them only when played VERY well and for spare moments in music.
    I hate them when they are misused in the meaning that they are used to in a swoony way to give false music an interesting sauce. That's all.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  10. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Oh no tobylou8, I really don't want to be part of your good side, no never.
    I only want to give my view on the op's question about purchasing a flugel or not.
    I didn't know there was a whole gang jumping on my back all knowing things much better than me or than anyone else and not willing to tolerate different opnions.
    I truly believe that playing the flugel real good is much more difficult than a lot of people think, but I think now that I underestimated grossly the sheer brilliance and capacities of you and your accomplices.
    May be a little quotation from words spoken by Ron Miles will clarify my position:

...I’ve never really been drawn to the flugelhorn. I have a Selmer Signet flugelhorn, which I used to play all the time, but when I did I felt like my trumpet articulation got really sloppy.

JazzTimes: Is there any difference in terms of blowing into flugelhorns in terms of air pressure.

Ron Miles: Oh, yes. It has been said that they’re illegitimate scales, so you can’t blast ‘em; you can’t overblow them; you have to be very, very tender—you can’t be too cruel with them [laughter]. You have to be very careful, because they can very easily be played out of tune if you don’t know how to use the tuning slide. It took us years of really serious research on the flugelhorn to figure out that you need to tune each pump instead of in one spot with the tuning slide. And the tuning slide on the flugelhorn is in the leader pipe; as you enter the mouthpiece into the receiver, then after you’ve made your regular tuning, you tune each pump, each slide individually and pull them into a position where it’s more conducive to you to make the notes that you want using that combination of valves…in tune. So the minute you see a flugelhorn player, unless he’s been doing it for a long time, playing with all of these pumps—middle valve, first valve and third valve—not being altered somewhat or tuned, you can almost bet he’s going to play out of tune.

Of course I understand that this has no meaning at all for "the good side" but may be it has for other,possibly interested, readers of this forum.

http://jazztimes.com/articles/20281...lanchard-ron-miles-doc-cheatham-brass-fantasy