Buying a horn soon?????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by psurace, Apr 28, 2006.

1. psurace

psurace New Friend

Apr 28, 2006
    Hey what's going on everyone. I am looking into buying myself a Strad. I was wondering what you reccomend. I can spend about 1600 and am looking for a rich round dark tone, was thinking a 37 or 43 ML with reversed leadpipe. I am a Cadet age out and the last horn i owned (and still do) is a bugle.......yes we played BUGLES in drum and BUGLE corps!!!! Naturally i need a rich dark tone i don't care for a bright baroque sound.

I know my dad had a Stradivarius from 1952.........am i still right going for one, and does what i have an idea of fit in with what i want? I haven't bought a horn in forever. Please let me know, also...........how much should a new bach cost?

Thanks all

-P Very Happy

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    If you want to buy a strad...... (wait for it.....)

I recommend you buy a strad.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    $1600 should just about get you into a new Strad if you look around.

I'm with Toots - if you want a Strad, get one. There are certainly worse horns you could buy.

4. psurace

psurace New Friend

Apr 28, 2006
    Thanks for the helpful tips. I figured i was gonna get a strad.................how about the specs questions. Is what i am looking for what i plan to buy? Rich dark tone etc.........?

-P

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    A lot of it is going to depend on the mouthpiece you use and how you play it.

In general the ML 37 is considered a good all around horn - it can be bright, but it can also be dark.

The 43 is usually considered a big, full sounding horn suitable for lead work.

I suggest that you hole up in a music store or two and do some playing to see for yourself and make your decision that way because surely you don't want to spend $1500+ on a horn you have never played based on someone else's recommendation.

6. psurace

psurace New Friend

Apr 28, 2006
    Sure, go in and play is exactly the way i buy my guitars. I have also been playing on a Vincent Bach 3c and a 1 1/2 c. We found out at cadets those mouthpieces handle my huge influx of air. Like i said i haven't bought a horn since i bought a bugle, and they're mail ordered................will my store in anaheim (anaheim band) have a range of strads to play, or are there 5 models and the rest is custom?

-P

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    To my knowledge (which might contain large gaps, so keep that in mind) there are a few basic options that are regularly put into Strads coming off of the line:

Bores: ML and L are the most common but M is not unheard of
    Bells: 37, 43, 25 (Found usually on the L bore models) 72, 65
    Tuning slide: Standard and reversed
    Finishes: Silver plated and lacquered

Actually, rather than letting me blather on about a subject that I admittedly only know a bit about, you would probably be better served by digesting some of the info on this site, dedicated specifically to Bach Strad trumpets:

http://www.thebachloyalist.freeservers.com/newtrumpet.html

Good luck! :-)

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I almost proposed to a girl because of her Bach ML 37 with 25 leadpipe. Bach is inconsistent as all get out, so try before you buy. Check out Yamaha's Bach clones in case that turns out to be your dream horn. Try Getzen and Conn and all the others for the same reason. Keep in mind that low notes are important too. Don't call anyone, especially Manny, "chump."

9. KMT

KMT Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Anaheim Band will have a few Bachs, but for a better selection you should go up to Fergusson Music in La Crescenta.

www.hornguys.com

10. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Just to throw something else in the mix - take a tuner and a friend
    along to listen to what is happening in front of the horn. A lot of times
    we carried away by a new shiney horn and the essentials go out the window. Some of the best playing horns that I have tried were lacquer and not silver.
    Good luck and have fun. Dave