Buying a horn soon?????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by psurace, Apr 28, 2006.

1. deadicon

deadicon New Friend

Jun 11, 2009
    the world
    I went strad shopping, but where I live at in VA the music stores usually only have 1 or 2 "nice" horns, and they all seem to be not taken care of (getting dusty in some glass case, or hung up on a wall). I've played maybe like 10 different Bb strad 37's in the past month, and there was a pretty large variation in playability. The one that actually played the best for me, was the only used one I looked at, it was also the cheapest. But I do think that as a whole, they are a bit overpriced.

2. Bruin

Bruin Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2008
    L.A.
    Wait. You live in ANAHEIM and aren't going to at least try out a Kanstul? Their showroom is right there in Anaheim. I'm not sure if $1,600 will get you their 1537 model that is designed after a Bach 37, but many swear it plays and sounds even better.

Welcome to Kanstul Musical Instruments

There's a gentleman there named Charles Hargett who is their Sales & Marketing Manager and he can tell you everything you've ever wanted to know about Kanstul horns. He's a great player, and great and knowledgeable guy who will really work with you and answer all of your questions. Try to schedule an appointment with him, bring along your mouthpieces, and have a blast playing some of the finest horns made. Before I'd spend $1,600+, I'd want to really be sure that I get to try out other horns to see if I might like them even better than the one I think is my ultimate horn. Just my $0.02.

Oh, also, the music store you mentioned? It also carries Kanstuls. But, visit Kanstul to see the range of offerings there, too.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    The Bach 18037 is the most popular Bach, the #72 bell is a darker sound than the #37, the #43 bell is brighter sounding than both #72 and #37, it could just be me but I found the standard weight Bach had a darker quality than the the ones with a reversed leadpipes.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    By all means you should go to Kanstul. Their build quality and customer support is top notch. Maybe they'll give you a Ananheim residential discount!

I think you'll find a number of their models suit your requirements. Definitely call and make sure Charles will be there.

Veery

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Guys.....

This is THREE YEARS OLD!

I think he either bought a horn or has given up trumpet by now.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    It would be nice to have a flag to alert us to a response to a stale post. I usually just pick highlighted threads from the TM homepage, and the posting dates don't stand out very well for my vision.
    Just another wish list item, MJ.

v

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    (oops! I missed the part about this thread being three years old....Senior moment!)

You could hardly start at a better place than Anaheim Band Instruments. True, they may not have the biggest selection but Dave Brown (owner) is a real gem. He personally plays trumpet and will spend as much time with you as you want. I went there early in my comeback effort and the time was invaluable. I am still taking some lessons there (taught by Kevin) to aid my efforts. If Dave can't get you the horn you want, then certainly there are plenty of other places to look in Southern California.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009