Buying a Stereo vs. Buying a Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bachstul, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    The advice here is always "play before you pay", and I agree.

The last time I remember my stereo shopping experience shopping as "Exciting", Steve Winwood, "When You See A Chance" was released. Every stereo shop played it non-stop, multiple visits; it was simply the best studio recording then, next to Fleetwood Mac "Rumors". It was ironic!, and ridiculous. Well, yea, you say, they wanted to demonstrate their hi-fidelity equipment.

Well, I learned to bring my own favorite recordings to the store, to hear more what I'm already familiar with. (Such as Your own mouthpiece to the music store?)

But, when I bring the stereo equipment home and wire it up, after a little while, I feel it just doesn't sound as great as it did in the store. (like you may feel about that trumpet you brought home last week).

My point is, you can't decide on a keeper after tooting through a half dozen trumpets at a music store in one afternoon. I like those 45 day return policies as well as that thread below or above about the decent return policy.

My first trumpet player was always buying used and selling used, later, he'd keep one for six months, then sell used.... it was comical, ya never know what he was going to show up with..... "can't lose!" he'd say. He settled ,finally on a Wild Thing, new. But he tried 'em all! And probably profited doing so. I'm sure.

My bottom line is you can't decide in the store; you must take it out in the "theatre" before you can be sure. So, watch and understand the return policy!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Back in my day it was Steely Dan they played, because they were the best engineered. For Classical it was Deutsche Grammaphone, because of the vinyl....

3. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009
    The metaphor is that the same music in every stereo shop, represents every trumpet in every store trying to sound the same as that one trumpet.

That one trumpet was the best at that time.

Thanks for replying!!!!

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    As a wanna-be comeback player, I went through this exercise recently. I will agree that when I went into the various stores to try the demo trumpets, even in the special-built room with feedback audio, I had difficulty telling the difference. My chops and my ear had not developed sufficient discernment to allow me to sense how 'free blowing' or 'sweet sounding' each one was. So, in the end, I bought the one (my Andreas Eastman) recommended by the store owner who was very helpful and accommodating in my search. The other side of the coin is that I also bought a number of used trumpets on ebay just to see what other models would play like. And, now, after a couple of months I still cannot discern that my new trumpet plays much differently than my Olds, Conn, Holton, Yamaha, or King. So, I guess the question is, on what basis would I return the trumpet after only 45 days assuming that the store offered that policy? It may take me several months to start to tell the difference. Or, it could be that I was lucky and the Eastman is just a very good playing horn and I will never become dissatisfied with it.
    I cannot tell if my inability to critically distinguish playing characteristics is my lack of recent experience, my age generally, or if I simply do not have the ear and will never be able to tell.
    So, I guess my real question relates to the issue of how does one tell when the horn does not "pick" them so that they can take it back and try again?

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    We must be about the same age.

For a trumpet I look for tuning and non stuffiness. Other than that, what can you expect from a trumpet. Tuning was the reason I ditched my Bach.

6. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009

I guess after so long becomes the matter of fact a purchase became an investment; and trumpets will go up again before Winter, then before March 2010, then before Winter again.

I think those must first be certain they have the "Holy Grail" mouthpiece; those questioning themselves with this, will not "pick" them.

A month and a half gives plenty to play in rehearsals, all your gig venues, and in your practice "closet".

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The best recording was the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs version of the Dark Side of the Moon or anything from Sheffield Labs.

Back then there were the same type of geeks that really didn't enjoy the music, but celebrated the act of playing a record.

We see that here at TM today with the players that spend all of their time looking at their embouchure or recording themselves and analysing their playing. I guess if the intrinsic interest in MUSIC is not there, the mechanics could also be a good reason to keep going.

With the stereo, that geek reproduction had little to do with the recreation of any believable sonic event. The "flat" frequency response was as misunderstood as our trumpet players slotting!

8. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009
    I've got an "Abbey Road" from that studio. It is an enjoyable experience to play, even today.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    This all makes good sense - as does the entire post.

I was planning a highjack because the title suggested something that tickled my stupid bone, and I thought it would be amusing - however, commonsense prevails for a change. :oops:

I used a CD 'Digital Manhattan' as my 'Master Recording', anybody know it? :cool:

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Ahh, college. Chasing a cute flute player around the track at 5:00 a.m. in the morning after listening to The Rite of Spring through Radio Shack speakers stuck into tin cans with my droogs at 1:00 a.m. It all gave a different take to “high fidelity.”