Buying a trumpet......? ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Victoria R, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Victoria R

Victoria R New Friend

Jun 3, 2011
    I get tenor sax lessons. I want to buy a trumpet for display more than play it but might still mess round with it. Will it ruin my tenor sax playing? What ya think[​IMG]

2. bengela7

bengela7 Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2011
    Georgia, US
    No it will help you improve because Maynard Ferguson Played sax to but he was mainly trumpet and it didnt stop him from learning new things

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    What you can play on tenor sax you should be able to play 8va (up one octave) on Bb trumpet without transposing whereas the tenor sax is also a Bb instrument. More than half of playing a song right, is rhythms and phrasing, the rest is mechanical and physics.

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    If you ever plan to try and play the trumpet, buy an Olds Ambassador. They are great for display and they play very well, too, unless they have been run over by a bus - twice. If it's just for display, there are several on Ebay that have been made into lamps.:evil:

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Notice he said twice, if it gets run over once it still looks good, they are tanks

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    As long as while you are messing around with it, you don't drop it on or slam it into your sax.

7. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Get an Olds Ambasador. They are the golden standard of cheap, durable and good sounding. Oh yes...they are truly an Ambasador horn...I mean they are very diplomatic :)

8. bengela7

bengela7 Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2011
    Georgia, US
    How good are the Olds Ambassador Trumpets

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It is truly respected as one of the best, if not the best student model trumpet. But don't let that stop you, many use it professionally as well.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I finally got to play one ... solid. great sound and tone ...
    I think I put a clip of me playing one in the classifieds .. it's sold but the clip lives on