Buying a trumpet......? ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Victoria R, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Victoria R

Victoria R New Friend

Jun 3, 2011
    Thanks for replying to my thread.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Victoria,

The Olds Ambassador is one of three "student quality" (???) trumpets I now play and enjoy myself. If you are intersted about March 2012 I will have available by then another to resell once it is refurbished to good playability by competent tech (not me). Refurbished means it may have minor dings not affecting playability and cosmetic finish loss. It is not restoration to look brand new in appearance. Just the patina of age and usage ideal for decoration (???).

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  3. joe1joey

joe1joey Piano User

Jul 3, 2010
    E.Panhandle WV
    It is a fine thing that a positive cant was afforded to the Olds Ambassador without the 'not unusual' interruption of a pedant from another brand's camp. Sort of a Ford Chevy thing. What I'd like to add here is that the Ambassador should be thought of as the base model of one the finest line of trumpets that were ever built. Mistakenly thought of as a 'student' horn, it was built to the same level as every other of their offerings...alas without all the bells and whistles. The bell and valve sections/body and valves are superior to most horns, even professional that are built today. With a relatively minor modification of a leadpipe change, it moves from a very good to an excellent horn. Or outside old school marketing acceptance, but using their jargon..moves from an intermediate level player to a professional.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Careful Victoria, the trumpet has a habit of sneeking up and grabbing you by the heart strings - that is what I think happened.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yah, but it can grab you other places that reside near the location of the back pocket of men's trousers that houses the wallet.

6. Victoria R

Victoria R New Friend

Jun 3, 2011
    Thank you my friend.

7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Did you get a trumpet yet?

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think this is PURE WISHFUL THINKING. The Ambassador is MILES away from decent pro horns then and now. Changing the leadpipe does not solve the underlying issues. My suggestion is to play a real pro horn for 5 to 10 years, build good playing habits and then try the Ambassador. I recently played several while looking for some horns for my students. I didn't even buy one. Too far away from what they deserve. Way too expensive for what it is these days. Too many dreamers trying to cheat the unknowing.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Rowuk, may I ask you to list your choice of ten top pro models in descending order from the best to to less than best.

Otherwise, I concur that off-the-shelf you are unlikely to find a pre-owned Ambassador (or any other instrument) that will not need again as much cost in repairs / rehabilitation as you are asked to pay for it. As to this last, I concur that the "hype" on the Ambassador has contributed greatly to the greeedy inflated price sellers are now asking for them.

Otherwise, when a beginning student cannot afford a PRO HORN, can you still teach them effectively on what they (their parents) can afford ?

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    This girl is looking for a beater that she can play to see if she likes it, after a few years she may get a pro but I do not think it is wise to start on a pro horn. I think the ambassador is a great fit for her.