Buying a Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by suewatters1, Jan 3, 2016.

1. suewatters1

suewatters1 Pianissimo User

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Hi I joined this group years ago. I am looking to buy a trumpet and I remember somebody saying a used one is better then the new ones available these days. Any recommendations for me regarding buying a trumpet for the first time. I can't afford something too expensive especially if there are Custom Duty fees involved. I never played a trumpet before and I see some on Amazon.CA Website and Ebay but not sure if there are better websites and what make model and year should I consider looking at.

Thanks in advance for your help

Suewatters1 / Monique

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    No! A used instrument is not better than anything new! Used is just in most cases more cost effective. If you have dealers around you try some out. The BrassCellar.com is based in Canada so you might start there
    The Brass Cellar Home Page
    A Holton Collegiate would be a nice starting point. Also a cornet(long style) may suit you better

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Sue,

You will get a ton of advice here, so much so that you will have too much advice. Your question is like someone going to a car show and asked what would be the best car to buy. Everybody has an opinion - but most any will do fine, especially if you are a beginner.

My own suggestion would be to look for an Olds Ambassador on eBay. Olds has been out of business for 35 years, but many of the horns are still sought after from beginning level to pros. The Ambassador was the student level trumpet, built like a tank, that plays far better than entry level. On eBay they run about $150. Just be sure to get one that says in good playing condition, with all slides and valves working properly. That is the "lowest cost" possibility.

If you are hunting for something better, then I'll send you a private email.

Now, just sit back and watch all the recommendations. Again, most will be fine.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  5. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I will also vouch for Brass Cellar. I've dealt with them on many occasions and they are truly excellent people. Great inventory, very honest and reasonable people.

They post here every now and again...I believe under the name of zman.

Kujo

6. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
  7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Welcome to TM, Sue (yes, I know, you have been hiding in the bushes for years; but now is your active begin, so, welcome!)!

The most important acquisition for a beginning trumpet player is a good teacher... so, look around in your neighbourhood whether there's a community band going or some such. Tell them about wanting to start playing trumpet. Many of these bands have instruments available that they can lend to beginners, and their players are usually keen to teach. So - approach them, ask your questions, and decide from their replies whether that's a way you want to go. And of course, it means that when you are ready (which will be in no time at all!), you'll already have a band to step into.
    We'll be with you all the way with hints, advice and a bit of fun to keep you going, and usually you can even find a trumpet lesson over skype.
    All the best!

8. kinetic711

kinetic711 Piano User

Sep 15, 2014
    North Eastern Ont, Canada
    Where in Ontario do you live? I do have some trumpets that I could part with and there are other TM members that are in the GTA. I'm sure one of us could help you out.

9. suewatters1

suewatters1 Pianissimo User

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I want to thank everyone for your advice. I live in Cornwall Ontario. My Original price range after taxes and custom duty fees is $300. If I could get one for less even better. I work 6 hour days and I am subsidized by O.D.S.P. the Ontario Government pension. My baby fingers are not fully developed. Not as long as it should be so it makes it hard for me find an instrument. I was in a High School Band about 38 years ago playing the Baritone but always wanted to play a Trumpet.
    I get tired fast due to health issues. Would love one that isn't so hard to reach the higher notes but since I am newbie I understand maybe a Cornet wouldn't be so bad. Thanks for the links will look them up.

Sue

10. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, if you have finger problems, a rotary trumpet might be your instrument of choice, or even a rotary cornet - they don't involve as much bending of the fingers, and have no need for long fingers. BrassBandMajor will be selling one very soon that will be within your price range and will still be playable.