Buying a Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by suewatters1, Jan 3, 2016.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So there you have it. Buy yourself a good teacher. I for instance would be reasonable and only require two meals a day. PS: I speak fluid Canadian - Eh - See!!

2. suewatters1

suewatters1 Pianissimo User

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Wow thanks everyone for all the great advice and support it means a lot to me. I am going to be checking out the links and configure my setting so I get an email when somebody replies to any of my questions. Thanks again.
    My other fingers are all fine nothing wrong with them unless they swell up from being really burning hot or to cold they turn grey. Going to do some research.

3. suewatters1

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Can anyone tell me what they think of the trumpets on amazon.ca. I would want to buy it from them and not some 3rd party seller. I noticed some great prices.
    I have a double post which I can't delete sorry

4. suewatters1

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
  5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I believe there is a rule of thumb which says if a Chinese trumpet comes with a pair of cotton gloves then beware of it unless you can try it yourself first. If there is a trial/returns period you could consider that if you trust the vendor. The reviews on the website seem mostly good, but I do see a fair few are written by parents of young children where the comments are from the (presumably) non-playing parents.

I did have the chance to try out a Chinese trumpet for a friend and it was okay even though it came with gloves.

--bumblebee

6. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Those new trumpets on Amazon like Cecilio and names like that aren't going to get you a good trumpet

7. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
  8. kinetic711

kinetic711 Piano User

Sep 15, 2014
    North Eastern Ont, Canada
    Personally, I would stay away from it. I just remembered, you are not too far from Nepean. There is a place there called Mike's Music. Mike's Music
    They are a Getzen dealer as well as carry other brands. It might be worth a call. Explain your situation and budget, and see if they can help you.

9. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    Hi Sue...

I play and teach trumpet in the Ottawa area. Drop me a line at "[email protected]";
    I may have a line on a good inexpensive starter trumpet located not far from where you live.

Cheers,
    Glenn

10. suewatters1

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Denis I was looking at the Carol CTR-100 last night. I didn't see the Cornet. Will go back and look at it. With my fingers I can't hold the trumpet with 2 finger. I tried it at a local store recently. I think a Cornet would be best for me.
    I notice Long and McQuade has 1 store in Ottawa and 1 in Kanata. I go to Ottawa twice next week I am going to be checking both stores.
    I like the Cornet but have a few issues I need to consider. But I will look at both trumpet and Cornet.