Buying a Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by suewatters1, Jan 3, 2016.

1. ban

ban New Friend

Aug 3, 2014
    Test from Amazon is the best, if you like it, just keep it. if not just return it. search Tromba trumpet in amazon.com, I am sure you will be satisfied with everything.

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Sue,

If you buy off eBay do you have to pay extra for being in Canada? If not, I would find a good used $150 horn and go for it.

3. suewatters1

suewatters1 Pianissimo User

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Steve not sure would have to look at the website. They may have a Canadian Website. Going now to look

4. SteveRicks

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Sue,

Check eBay

There is a 1970s Olds Ambassador that bids out in 19 hours. Looks great. I would bid up to $225 on it. It will do more than what you need and will likely still be playable in 50 years.

5. suewatters1

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Steve I noticed Ebay has a lot of new ones from India. I didn't think they sold any.

6. SteveRicks

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Cheap foreign horns that look shiny often are terrible to play and do not last. The Olds Ambassador is a great horn. This one comes with a very nice case, and I think a good mouthpiece. I have an Ambassador and both my son and I use it when we don't want to carry an expensive horn out for fear of damaging it. It is not that I am wed to an Ambassador, but they are one of the least expensive horns out that plays at the borderline pro level. And they will last essentially forever. Some of the foreign horns have valves that go after a few months.

If you don't like the Ambassador, then we can keep looking. But stay away from the cheap foreign made junk. Think others here are suggesting the same.

7. suewatters1

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    No I would like to see an old Ambassador I didn't realize all foreign Trumpet or Cornet was not worth looking at. Thanks for the great advice. :)

8. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Edit fail

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  9. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Suewatters1 do not get an India horn. Have you tried a cornet ever? I'm not sure if it would be easier to hold but it's definitely smaller. I prefer to play an American wrap cornet then trumpet and a shepards crook feel just a bit more intimate. And everything people say about the Ambassador, I'd say the Holton Collegiates line is just as good, although I have no experience with the Ambassador

10. SteveRicks

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Well, I just looked at the Ambassador add again and noticed it says continental US only. You might send the seller an email and ask if they would consider shipping to Canada if you won.

Just look for others on eBay. Read the description, check the pictures. Then email the seller and ask 1) do valves and slides work properly, 2) anything about the horn that would keep it from playing properly. If you get two clear answers, then you are set to go. If you pay with PayPal then you can get a means of challenging the sale if the horn arrives not as described.

Most Ambassadors are going to run you $100-$200. They will typically show some lacquer wear. As long as it isn't bad and there are no major dents, you will likely have a good horn.

And, if you get an Ambassador but don't stay with the horn, you can likely sell it for what you paid without much trouble.