Buying a Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by suewatters1, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Gendreauj

Gendreauj Piano User

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    A Shepards Crook cornet would be an excellent choice. I like my Conn 17 A coprion (copper bell) has an excellent sound. I had both Olds Ambassador and Holton 602 trumpet. Liked the Holton better.

Conn Director 17 A coprion cornet
    Conn 1000 A cornet
    One curry mp
    Several wick mp

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    And it can be used for self defense!!! It's heavy and well built! :D

3. suewatters1

suewatters1 Pianissimo User

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Steve yes I feel a Cornet would be better for me. I will keep searching and go to those 2 Ottawa stores next week to get information from them

Thanks for everything it means a lot to me.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    This may sound a little crazy, but considering the weight of any horn and the physical issues you mentioned, What about a plastic trumpet? I have played a Tiger and was pleasantly surprised. Tromba makes one and there is a pTrumpet. All are in your budget and the Tromba can be bought on Amazon. Virtually weightless by comparison and the perfect starter horn. Can't dent it

Here's a link!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=12MQT42D19NWMKG6MQDW

You can also get it in silver or red. Tromba even makes a cornet!

5. kinetic711

kinetic711 Piano User

Sep 15, 2014
    North Eastern Ont, Canada
    This might be a very good option for you, in fact, the Canadian distributor is a member (chapmand) here on TM. Here is a link to his Kijiji ad.
    NEW Tromba Ultralight Cornet | brass | Edmonton | Kijiji
    Here is his TM post playing the Tromba. I'm sure he could help you if you decide this is something you would like.
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f139/video-comparison-horns-82938.html#post837858

6. suewatters1

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Tobylou8 Heavy I can't handle. Lack of strength do to a disease that attacks my peripheral nerves. The less it weights the better.

7. suewatters1

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Tobylou8 I missed part of your post. I saw Ptrumpet. I love the fact it looks to nort weight much. Since I am only learning and practicing with it should be something I should consider. Then further down the road I can buy a better one if I feel the need to. Thanks for the info. :)

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Here's the link above. The Tromba is getting good reviews and it's under $200. It also uses any synthetic oil. Some of the other plastic horns require specific oil.

9. suewatters1

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    The link doesn't work. So the Tromba is sold on Amazon? Will definitely look for it. Thanks

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Must be an international thing.It works regardless of the link I pick. Wierd. But yes,Tromba is on Amazon.