Buying a Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by suewatters1, Jan 3, 2016.

1. jojocat123

jojocat123 New Friend

Hello Sue, there's many good brands you can trust. Getzen 300 or 400 Series, King 601, Yamaha 2330, 2335 Holton And Olds as noticed, Jupiter From 2005 ( with serial beginning with G ) and so on....they're all good horns you can find at your price point. Don't discard a horn if the lacquer is worn or if there's some minor dents.

Good luck with your search, JOE

2. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    It sounds like she may have tracked down an instrument... But my arm has been twisted - if it makes a difference - I'll cover the postage if she still wants a Tromba. Trumpet or Cornet. I can probably even find a nice 'real' mpc to toss in to sweeten the deal.

Cheers all.
    Peace.

barliman2001 likes this.
  3. suewatters1

suewatters1 Pianissimo User

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I found myself a trumpet. Actually Glennx found me the trumpet on Kijii. He went to look at it and was impressed with it. He tried it and checked it out. It was 1/2 hour from where he lives. Tomorrow morning I go to Ottawa for an appointment and sometime juring the day I will meet with the seller. It's $195. Canadian. It will be 1/2 drive for me also but I will be in the neighborhood so that works out well.

Suzuki Band Instruments

This is the model of the trumpet I am buying with the case.

I really appreciate Glennx for all the trouble he went too to check it out for me.

I am so happy right now 

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Congrats Sue. Know you will enjoy it.

5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Best wishes, now for the fun

6. kinetic711

kinetic711 Piano User

Sep 15, 2014
    North Eastern Ont, Canada
    Congratulations! I have dealt with Glennx, and can say, he is a very good guy. I'm sure you will be happy with your new trumpet.

7. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    Was following this thread, I live reasonable close to the lady, and was just very happy to help out : )

But I was curious, too, about the Suzuki wind instruments that are available (flute, clarinet and trumpet). I'm familiar with the very respected Suzuki string method where they start kids at a really young age (as young as age 3), so figured Suzuki wouldn't be making instruments available that were just TSAs. Haven't been able to find out online who makes the horn for Suzuki, but had a real chuckle this morning checking out the posts from several years ago on TM and TH. Everyone-but-everyone panned the Suzuki trumpet hands-down...but not a single poster had ever played one!

My impression from yesterday's quick trial of this used horn: perfect for a beginning student, medium bore, excellent fit & finish, plays in tune, easy enough to blow, monel valves feel very smooth, not too heavy to hold. For a near mint-condition horn under $200 in the Ottawa area, this is a nice find.

And yes, exactly what I wrote to SueW yesterday: "Now the real fun starts!"

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yeah, there are a lot of internet snipers with no experience or first hand knowledge. Cool that you were able to help!

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Only Suzukis I'd heard of were motorcyles, methods, and cars. Glad it worked out!!

10. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London