Buying from the factory?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet obsession, Feb 14, 2014.

1. trumpet obsession

trumpet obsession New Friend

Dec 9, 2011
    Hello everyone, does anyone know if you have to pay full retail price for a new horn if you buy straight from the bach factory? I am just trying to look at my options as I will be purchasing a Bach C sometime over the next few years.Thanks

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    If the factory will sell direct to you, they will need to sell at the full retail price, otherwise they will be competing with their dealers.

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Many years ago I went to the Bach factory and got a horn. In order to do it I had to be authorized by a dealer and actually spent the money with the dealer. At least at that time they would not circumvent their dealers.

4. trumpet obsession

trumpet obsession New Friend

Dec 9, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. So I take it I would be better off not buying from the factory. I live in the south east so I am near Charlotte and Atlanta. Where are some places that you can try several bach strad c's?

5. jazzdad6705

jazzdad6705 New Friend

Jun 30, 2012
    Are you only considering new horns? While it was extremely convenient to play and compare several different new horns at the local dealer, I definitely did not mind saving quite a bit purchasing used!

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Not sure how you pulled this out of the replies to date.

7. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I think what you will find is that you will not be able to buy a horn directly from the factory--they simply won't allow it and will require that you order your horn through a dealer. This does not preclude you from having direct contact with the factory, but in the final analysis you will have to get a dealer involved. If you wish to purchase directly from the person/factory that makes/designes your horn might I suggest Lawler, Jaeger Brass, Monette or another of the boutique manufacturers. I believe both Calicchio, & Marcinkiewicz also allow you to order directly from the factory.

8. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I don't believe this has changed. In fact you might have a better selection from a large dealer, like Chuck Levin's, than you would at the factory where they make them and ship them.

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Kanstul will sell directly as well - I almost bought a picc off Jack Kanstul via Facebook, would have got a very good deal from him; but then, financial matters interfered.

10. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Don't they always?:dontknow: