buying Lacquer

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RAK, Aug 21, 2009.

1. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    yes I saw it on youtube I'll try to find it and post it.

2. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
  3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Electrostatic coating is also used with wet spray especially for production line painting, I serviced the HV generators in bygone days.

A mid sized gun would be a good choice, an air brush may be a bit small to get an even coat over the whole horn.

Regards, Stuart.

4. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Put a trumpet stand that you don´t use
    on a turntable that you also don´t use!

The stand should be fastened in some way
    to the turntable to prevent accidents . . .

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Here is a point that I did not see mentioned. When I looked at the video, I could see that the trumpet body was being lacquered/plated with all slides and valves (valve caps) removed and all holes plugged. This would be necessary also with a DIY lacquer job which means (although not shown in the video) that the valve caps (minus the felts)and slides would need to be lacquered separately and that the portion of the slides that insert into the body will need to be masked to keep the lacquer off of those parts. I suppose that it would also be a good idea to remove the water keys and plug the drain holes so that the corks are not contaminated with lacquer. Likewise, all edges between lacquered and unlacquered portions will need to be masked carefully so that the lacquer does not run into those areas and also does not peel or chip when the masking is removed. This will not be a quick job if it is to be done right, not counting the chances of runs in the lacquer itself.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Eric Brand Repair Manual has complete instructions. 2nd Front Page

7. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Yamaha uses an epoxy based lacquer which is sprayed in an electrostatic process. The lacquer is then baked on. It is a liquid spray, not a powder coat.

for an air dry lacquer, Nicolas celulose lacquer is the industry standard. It is sprayed, usually in at least two coats and allowed to air dry. A lacquer booth with good ventilation is nice to have. I heard that in the old days Benge would step out into the alley on a clear, low humidity day and spray there.

I always used a standard paint gun. To support the instrument use a wood assembly mandrel, spray the inside of the bell first and then put in the mandrel and spray the rest of the horn. Look out for runs. For touch up, Nicolas comes in a spray can. You can get every thing you need from Ferree's Tools.

8. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Learned something new today...never knew they did electrostatic with liquid...Cool ;)

9. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    OK I'll try. But not on a horn. I got some brass and metal statues and other objects I would want to practice on first. Then I'll do it on a horn. If it comes in a spray can then I think that would be very good.

10. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    one more question.
    [​IMG]

The trumpet is shiny and looks new but that's not what lacquer i want. I want the vintage looking lacquer.
    Now this trumpet got what i want. Vintage metallic color. What is it called.?

[​IMG]