Buzz

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rmwtrumpet, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Patrick,

Hmmm….I may be misinterpreting what you wrote. I don’t consider this to be a whole horn issue as you’ve written. The resonant quality of the notes (in all registers) needs to be consistent, but the way the body chooses to get the notes to ring will most probably change from register (does that make sense?).

When I think about a resonant or vibrant sound that is well centered, it is specific to an individual note on the horn. When I cultivate a forward, “buzzy†quality on the mouthpiece / leadpipe combination it transfers directly to the sound that I want on the horn. When I focus on that sound quality and let my body do what it needs to do get that sound, I am by definition aligning with the place where the horn wants to resonate best for any given note.

Maybe PH or BillyB could add to this as they are closer to the source. I know what works for me, and I find the leadpipe helps me to lock into that vibrant quality that I want in my sound.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I see where you are coming from, but from my perspective, it always seems that my chops want to automatically adjust to promote the greatest resonance in just the leadpipe, which when you get the rest of the trumpet involved, is not how they need to be set to get the maximum resonance out of the bell - which is the end result. For me, it always feels like a different center, although for Ryan's case, I think that buzzing the leadpipe would be a great place to start to work on achieving good resonance without a lot of mouthpiece pressure - if a minor adjustment then needs to be made once the tuning slide is re-inserted, so be it. :-)

3. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    It is imperative that the pitch played on a Bach pipe or one of the same length is a concert Eb. The pitch is determined by the length of the tube. Sometimes I will get confused as to a resonant sound and find myself playing almost a full 1/2 step low on the lead pipe. If you let this happen then indeed when you play the horn things will be different.

4. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    This same "sagging" of pitch happens to me too. I find that if I do some K or "que" articulations with a forward (front of the mouth) concept, that my pitch remains where it needs to and the quality of the sound stays "buzzy". In fact, I can't get that buzzy quality if the pitch falls too much which leads me to add the K tongue (immediate feedback through the sound I'm trying to achieve). This quickly gets me back on track. Good point!

5. rmwtrumpet

rmwtrumpet New Friend

Dec 4, 2004
    Thanks everyone! I am printing of a copy of all of this information for myself, and for my instructor to read. I will be trying all of these things.

As far as a limit range, on one of my better days, which occur rarely, I can usually get up to about a high C. This doesn't bug my as much as one might think, but unfortunately, I am constantly being assigned material that is often an A or above, up to about a high D. Of course I am expected to be able to play these things, but am unable to.

For endurance, again it depends on the day, and also on what it is. If I am being asked to play a slow piece, I often am tired after only a few minute, no matter how I warm-up. In general, about 20 minutes is the maximum time, before I have to really start to push for things to happen. When we've observed my buzzing without a mouthpiece, I buzz with most of my lips, instead of just the center where the mouth piece would be.

Thank you again for all of your help.

rmwtrumpet

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I see why you might want to think that, but that's not totally a true statement. What about the bore size and taper of the leadpipe? What about the length? (Standard or reversed) What about the thickness of the metal of the wall of the leadpipe. What about the bore of the mouthpiece? On my Bach Strads, whenever I did this, it always sounded as an F and I would actually hold the first valve down in an effort to mentally put myself in the right frame of mind for that pitch, but I have read that it really dependent on the horn and that sometimes it isn't a concert Eb, but rather it's a full step higher or lower, depending on the trumpet.

Wouldn't it be a better idea to find where the pipe "wants" to resonate rather than trying to force it to a concert Eb because that's where we think it ought to be?

7. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    trickg,

The pitch is determined by the length of the tube. Bach strad pipes and any pipe of the same length will sound a concert Eb providing the player's lips are vibrating in sympathy with the natural vibration of the air column. This is what we call playing "in phase" with the instrument. Bore size, taper, etc. has nothing to do with pitch. Bach student line horns have a shorter pipe thus a higher pitch. Holton has a longer pipe, lower pitch. Playing too low on the pipe will cause problems when you put the horn together. I like your idea of pushing down the first valve. Try fingering Clarke #1 that starts on F while blowing the pipe(if you have a Bach strad length pipe). Keep the sound and pitch constant on the F while fingering the lick. Then put the tuning slide back in and play as though you are blowing just the pipe. This can really help minimize unneccessary movement of the chops.

8. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    When playing the pipe, keep hitting the desired pitch on a fixed pitch instrument such as piano or pitch pipe. Sometimes when just getting going in the morning that Eb may not sound so hot. In fact the E may sound better. But the sound I am listening to is the one in my imagination. When that matches up with what is coming out of the pipe, then I move on. This may take a few seconds or many minutes.

9. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    Reaching your peak as a college player? I doubt it. I have been a student, then a player, and now a teacher/player. At the age of 51 I play better than ever.

You seem to have some issues to work through, but with desire, patience, and some creativity you will find a way to get it done. Where do you live and how much time do you think you have to devote to the trumpet?

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You've got to be kidding me, right? NOTHING to do with the pitch?

Nevermind - my questions bear little relevance to the thread, and I suppose it doesn't matter what exactly the pitch of the leadpipe is, as long as he starts buzzing in phase, and it helps him to work out some of the mouthpiece pressure problems.