buzzing from 2 sources at a time?! observations from a complete beginner!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xelaris, Jan 20, 2009.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Just so you know I only want you to do good and have good results. I am not trying to bust your chop's rather I am trying to be a voice of reason. The trumpet is too beautiful and powerful to not aim for your best possable outcome with reguards to learning to play it! I never said you should pay anyone. I said you should informaly get a friend that plays trumpet to listen to you and give you some one on one advise or talk with your band director.

Good Luck and God Bless!!! P.S. If ever God had an instrument it would be trumpet!!! No offense to your alto sax but when was the last time Kings and rotalty where announced with a SAX when is the last time Walls where brought down with a Sax!!! So you do not want to make the big guy upset!!! WINK!

2. xelaris

xelaris New Friend

Jan 19, 2009
    The common misconception is that if a beginner enter a forum is because he/she has a problem...yet, there was and there is no problem as such, in fact the title of the thread say "observations" rather than problems.
    It was a sort of invitation to explore something which I found interesting (the double buzz).

I found trumpet "playing" fascinating and I regret not having started playing it a lot earlier as I always had the knack for tone control and embochure on the sax...but the trumpet is a totally different animal. It's much "purer" in its minimalistic approach: only three keys, good perception/control of mouth and a good hear....all those keys on the sax are just "unnatural", the simple fact that certain scales/keys are easier than others because of anatomic limitations don't help the free flow of music; it's just like a filter. The trumpet on the other hand is much more direct.

btw: I've checked the whole range moving chromatically from F# to top C (2.5 octaves). I can keep the same embouchure (slightly off center) but the tone at the bottom sounds thin - it gets much beefier and louder by changing the embochure somehow but the position is still the same.
    Still, I haven't spent a lot of time trying to integrate the lower register to the higher.
    Two transitions needs to be worked out: bottom G# to G...the lips feel weid here and the G simply doesn't pop out (unless its targeted from somewhere else). The other weird passage is from top G# to A...I guess my mouth doesn't like frequencies around G#(as yet).
    I spend most of the time around the triad from the second C up to E and G (C major)...and jumping from one step of the chord to the other (or nearby notes) is easy quick and rewarding - but many transitions aren't smooth (yet, the first week it was all puffing and sweating and very little else).
    When I try to jump from any of these to that top C...most of the time I get a top A# (G# on my tuner), but when I hit that top C it sounds really great....on a couple of occasions the G4 popped out too (that's over the normal range).
    I'm having fun just like a little boy...why spoiling everything with a tutor? Maybe is going to tell me I'm doing it wrong to go past the normal range so early?

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    If you are a Sax player and don't care then why are you coming to the forum to make observations or ask questions? If you want to learn to play the trumpet it is not a DIY project. Get a good teacher and start practicing and studying.

4. xelaris

xelaris New Friend

Jan 19, 2009
    And why did you enter MY discussion?
    Getting a teacher to what? To become a bore like yourself?

5. xelaris

xelaris New Friend

Jan 19, 2009
    Today I tried to change the source of the buzz while sustaining the note e.g. from center-left to center-right...no way...it doesn't work (not yet)...I have to stop adjust the embouchure and start again.
    All in all a centered buzz is more troublesome than buzzing from left/right of it...the center-right feels more comfortable and note come out easily and fuller than using the other 2 buzzing positions (center and center-left).