Buzzing on heavy mouthpieces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jimi Michiel, Feb 11, 2007.

1. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    It's a piece of brass tubing that, when used with the mouthpiece, helps approximate the resistance of the trumpet. It is made as follows:
    1. Cut the tube (pipe) to 5" long
    2. Drill a 3/32" hole 2" from the mouthpiece end
    3. Heat the tube and flare the mouthpiece end (an old discarded mouthpiece should work if you don't have another tool)

7/16" O.D. hobby shop brass tubing should work fine. The 5" length is not critical - I have a pipe that's 5-3/4" long and it works fine too. The hole makes it possible to play any note. If it's not there, pitches will be limited, much as they are when pulling the tuning slide and playing the leadpipe.

This is pretty simple and doesn't really require a picture. But if you want a photo, let me know and I'll see if I can get one together tomorrow night.

If you do try this, let me know how it works for you. Best,
    - Matt

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  2. michael shanks

michael shanks New Friend

Jan 12, 2007
    buzzzing on my mouth piece doesnt work for me but sometimes it gives me a little bit of a warmup if your wife doesnt want to here you play then just blow a little tune on your mouthpiece make sure your wifes dont read this message

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Matt, I'm having a little trouble visualizing this, so if you could post a picture, that would be great. Thanks!

-Jimi

PS. Do you use a blowtorch to heat the piping?

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    To get a basic of what Matt is talking about, Google "Jo Ral Short Cut." Matt's version is about $25 cheaper, though, (unless you buy your tubing from Dave Monette). :cool:

5. trumpethack

trumpethack Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    Massachusetts

6. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    Jimi -
    Here's a quick and dirty picture (not very good lighting) that I hope is good enough. The buzzing tubes in the photo were made by my friend Fred Holmgren, who is good at machining and a creative guy. I used them for the picture because they look far better than what I could make. The little Renaissance bell flares are his special touch.;-) They aren't necessary like the flare at the mouthpiece end that serves as the receiver.
    [​IMG]

Yes, I would use a blowtorch to heat for bending the flares. And, as I'm sure you would, use clamps, gloves, and eye protection to be safe.

Yeah, and I wonder how much for Prana tubing?:lol:
    Seriously thogh, it's not only cheaper than the Jo-Ral Short Cut, but far lighter and less obtrusive.