Buzzing sound while I play

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jrbuzz, Aug 23, 2013.

1. jrbuzz

jrbuzz New Friend

Jul 9, 2013
    In just the last year I have noticed an awful buzzing noise when I play. It sounds horrible. I've talked to many people about it and no one knows what's wrong. It feels as though my top lip opens or something. It happens from the midrange C and up. I don't understand why it happens at all and I've been getting extremely frustrated with myself because of it. Any help at all would be much appreciated.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, jrbuzz. Sometimes a loose brace on the trumpet can start buzzing, so see if it occurs on another instrument. Sometimes a double-buzz can happen when the lips are pressed too closely together. You might want to work on making it appear at will, and when you figure out what causrs it you can stop doing it.

Good luck!

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I've got to ask the question, you say you have talked to many people about it, have you talked to a proffessional private trumpet tutor. I would hope any tutor worth their salt would be able to diagnose that issue quite quickly and suggest how to put it right with the minimum of fuss.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO it is a gargling/gurgling condition that once upon a time I also suffered. Voice lessons and speech therapy persons can help immensely. Sometimes it's referred to as a frog in your throat. I found it to be more prevalent with males in the transition of puberty. Those beginning first years are formative.

5. jrbuzz

jrbuzz New Friend

Jul 9, 2013
    Thanks for the welcome! I appreciate these thoughts, but I know it's my lips. It feels like my upper lip is opening and its buzzing against my lower lip or the mouthpiece. And yes, I've talked to my private instructor, the trumpet players who own the repair shop I go to, as well as my band director, who plays trombone. No one has heard of my issue and they have no idea how to fix it. It's extremely frustrating for me to practise because of it. It happens with every trumpet, so it's not the horn. I also find a very large amount of condensation in the cup of the mouthpiece within two to five seconds of playing.

6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    You must question everything now. I respect Ed very much but I would not put a lot of faith in a suggestion when we haven't heard and seen you play. It could be a double buzz but I would expect your tutor to have ruled that out, I would say the same for a noise in your throat.

It could be you are not pegging the corners of your lips to keep your embouchure stable, It could be that you are using too much or too little pressure and air is escaping the sides of your mouthpiece, I could even be simply that your embouchure is not strong enough to take the higher notes. There are so many ifs and buts in here that you should take no notice of them. I would also suggest you talk again to your tutor and if he cannot solve your problem then it may be either time to ask him if you could take a remiedial session with someone else or even if he/she finds that idea unsuitable it may be time to move on to another tutor. Whatever we cannot solve this problem without hearing and seeing you play, preferably live.