Buzzing sounds like a fart..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Thepotatodawg, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Thepotatodawg

Thepotatodawg New Friend

Sep 20, 2015
    On Saturday, I bought a Nouva Trumpet. After watching tutorials on how to buzz my lips,where they sound like a smooth, buzz, my buzz keeps sounding like a fart. However, I have wonky-ish teeth (might get braces). Are my teeth effecting the buzzing or do I just need to practice. Please answer!
    Also, I apologize if this is in the wrong sub-forum.

2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I advise getting a teacher. Not stable basics can lead into big problems.
    Though good to see a person trying hard.
    I have never heard of the brand 'Nouva' but.....
    If you think your trumpet is bad, just buy nice Olds Ambassador or a Holton Collegiate to start off.

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Any working trumpet can be a beginner's horn, so don't waste your money now that you already have a trumpet.
    Wait until you find a proper teacher and then let the teacher advise what to do instrument-wise.
    If we knew where in this Universe you are based, we might better help you find a teacher. Meanwhile, to cultivate a lip, I suggest that you use the Maurice André Mirror Method.
    What is this?
    You stand in front of a big mirror, with your hooter, and stick this picture of Maurice André to the mirror
    http://thebluegrassspecial.com/archive/2012/may2012/_images-may-2012/maurice-andre1.jpg

And then you try and shape your lips to look as near to Maurice's as possible. Worked for me, and ever since, I have claimed to be a student of Maurice André :D (became real truth later on).

4. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Or like Dr Eggerer .... :roll:
    :D

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I resent that extremely.

6. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I meant to get a picture of you playing like Maurice Andre on his mirror instead of Mr Andre........
    The embochure......:-(:-( MISUNDERSTANDING.....

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You just need to practice. Preferably at the direction of a teacher.

8. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    This man was considered to have a "perfect" embouchure.
    Here he is in his early 30s.
    http://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=JN.YhTYYQDaO+S0aW0vG0aM1Q&pid=15.1

Here he is in his mid to late 60s.
    http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=JN.zGYxWnU67t3b7MOLNvtJDQ&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

There was basically little change in his embouchure whether he was playing above the staff, in the staff, or below the staff.

Beware of a "smiling" embouchure. That is not taught anymore and Mr. Andre did not use a "smile" embouchure, it just looked that way.

Rich

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When we have no strength in our embouchure, a buzz DOES sound like a fart (which is also caused by air passing by tissue surrounded by a ring muscle........). The standard way for a beginner is to use more pressure between the mouthpiece and lips and THEN they get a buzz that produces a note in the "musical" range of the trumpet. As we get better, we reduce pressure.

10. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Bud Herseth!!!