Buzzing the mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Wlfgng, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    When I try to buzz on the mouthpiece......nothing happens.
    I have tried pulling the mouthpiece out of the lead pipe while playing a note with a hope that it will buzz.......nope.
    Sometimes I get a sound, but it sounds more like a dying duck. For the mot part it is a quiet "whoosh"ing sound that comes out.

As soon as I start slowly bring my finger over the end of the mouthpiece to creat a little back pressure.....viloa! I can buzz.

I do play 2/3 a rim off center to the left....could this be the problem?

My range is descent - I can play the 1st C above the staves with little or no issues during practice or piece playing.

I've been told by other brass players that I have a good tone and clear.

Play a lot of duets with another trumpet, we are able to blend with the odd issue here and there.

I have tried other sized mouth pieces still no luck ( 1D, 2C, 1 1/2C, 3C, 5D, 7C there are a few more but I can't remmber them)

Even whe I was trying out different cups and back bores with the Warburton rep....still no buzz unless there was some back pressure.

Is this something I should worry about or just go with what I know works?

Help.

2. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    Wow that is a little strange i think but hey people dont pay to come and here you buzz.

3. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    I wouldn't worry about it. Playing on the mouthpiece is a means not the end. I won't drop names, but I personally know of two top players who don't play on the mouthpiece.

Roy Griffin

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Don't worry! It is not uncommon that a little back pressure helps the buzz to happen. Try buzzing with the back pressure and slowly remove your little finger. It might take a while, but it is possible to train yourself to just buzz the tone.

5. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Look into a BERP (Buzz Extension and Resistance Piece)... they clip on the horn and help to create the back pressure you need, with out getting your hand wet! $15.99 on WWBW.COM, but your local music store will probably have one. I have my kids use them in marching practice. They get to hear what they sound like buzzing, while being able to maintian the correct horn angle! Good stuff for marching band... ;)

6. slixk

slixk New Friend

Jan 13, 2006
    Singapore
    Isn't that good?
    I don't believe in buzzing, maybe that's why.
    One of my teacher's is firmly against buzzing. Some top player's don't buzzing too.

7. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Like most things in the trumpet world, everything is subject to what works for an individual.... and some things are subject to people believing the way they were taught is the only way to do something. :dontknow: I use buzzing at the high school as a method for the students to better hear themselves and each other during ensemble practice. I continue to use it because it has helped to correct tone and breathing issues.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think it would be worth your while to spend a bit more time with the mouthpiece. About 5 minutes of long tones a day as part of the routine will keep you real in tune with the condition of your face. Like anything else with the trumpet, a bit of practice works wonders!

9. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    Sorry to do this, since I will be flaming the fire. BUT you dont buzz to play a trumpet, you buzz because you play a trumpet.

I went to a master class with Allen Vizzutti ad he explained how a buzz doesnt happen until the mouthpiece is engaged in the receiver. All of the students I have heard trying to buzz have improved their sound by not trying to buzz, it causes tension that is not needed.

An exercise I use is to take out the tuning slide and buzz on the leadpipe and mouthpiece, this gives you the benefit of a "buzz" with the setup that makes it happen.

To sum up, you dont buzz to play a trumpet. Dont worry about it and just play on dude.

Please be kind when firing back.

TD

10. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Could you explain the "you don't buzz to play a trumpet" bit just a little more? I really don't understand that...