Buzzing the mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Wlfgng, Aug 19, 2008.

1. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    Sorry guys, havent been on in a while.

I see some have explained what I tried to say quite well. I guess to sum up "you dont make your lips buzz, they buzz because you are playing."

I have had many students with that strangled off sound and I have found they are trying way to hard to buzz thier lips. The pressure system in the reciever leadpipe helps make the lips do what they should. As far as "flapping" even without a mouthpiece, I have to put my teeth very close together to get my lips to flap. Something that should not be done when playing.

I know many big names stress mouthpiece buzzing. When I spent some time with Bill Watrus I was amazed how he could basically play tunes without his horn, just by buzzing. As with anything what works for one might not work for others. In my experience the kids who dont concentrate on buzzing have a bigger, easier sound. Also, the leadpipe buzz has the best of both worlds.

I guess when we all figure this out we will stop buying mouthpieces..and horns..........and cases..............and.................
    TD

2. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA

roflroflrofl

3. trumpetlore

trumpetlore Pianissimo User

Apr 14, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Clearly some players can play well without practicing the buzz, some play well buzzing. I am wondering (as I only know a few great teachers) what do most of the great teachers teach on the subject. Barb & Charlie at North Western for example? I know Thompson (Eastman) does buzzing, what about Gould? Or some of the European heavies like John Wallace, Plog, (I know Cassone does), Reinhold Fredrich. Does anybody know?
    I'm just wondering what the "highly successful teachers" think about these things.

4. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    and endurance! Ditto to the others as well...
    FWIW- it helped me "focus" my chops and my ears too! I started by just buzzing a 2nd line G and slowly
    inserting the piece into the trumpet. Now I can do scales, Clarke, etc.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Reinhold Friedrich does too. His students all have to "flap" first - no mouthpiece big buzz - sound like horse.

6. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    not at all, when i'm having a bad day,(my lips are hard/dry) or i'm tired, i can't buzz, but if i'm feeling good and i'm at near 100% efficiency, i can buzz

7. daniel starz

daniel starz Piano User

Jan 11, 2009
    wasilla alaska
  8. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    I think it was Scott Englebright that said, "Why spend time buzzing in your mouthpiece when you could have been playing your horn ?"

Hoghorn

9. andy-rockstar

andy-rockstar Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Anchorage, AK
    When I first started playing in 7th grade, our teacher in the high brass class had everyone buzzing into the mouthpiece for the first couple weeks of school, before we even touched our horns. Now I can buzz entire scales out with just a mouthpiece, FWIW.

I'm sure it helps if you're first starting out playing. But once you start really playing the horn I doubt it's really something to stress over. If you've got good tone from the horn, go with it!

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    How about a teacher who can SHOW you how to do this?