Buzzing w/o Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex_C, May 31, 2010.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Lip buzzing without the mouthpiece can be very good or very bad. If you know exactly what you are doing it is very good....but, uhh, by the time we become that good we've usually put in enough of the old-fashioned practice that we don't need it.

Unless the chops are set just right, lip-buzzing can encourage all kinds of bad habits that don't translate to the instrument.

2. trumpet45

trumpet45 New Friend

May 31, 2010
    NYC
    Laurie Frink, one of the best trumpet clinicians on the planet, always had me buzz before every lesson. I haven't take a lesson with her in some time, but at my last lesson she had me buzz from high c to middle c and then chromatically, in octaves, all the way down
    to low c or as low as possible, and then do the same thing with the mouthpiece. On a good day I can start my buzz from high d, sometimes high e and down chromatically all the way down as low as possible. It seems to work for me and it seems to strengthen the corners of the mouth.

3. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Sigh. Again, thanks. I am literally caught between geese and a gas chromatograph lately and lip buzzing while driving around or doing stuff (like noodling on the computer here) is what practice I'm getting.