Buzzing without the mouthpiece.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Double_G, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    I know this has come up recently, but I want to hear it from you guys personally.

I know lip buzzing is important. And I know it will improve you in every aspect of playing if you learn to do it correctly. But, I CAN'T do it. I have great difficulty in trying to lip buzz. I get frustrated and eventually after about fifteen minutes of useless practice I blow out my chops from trying to buzz so much. I just don't really understand the process behind it. Are you the player suppose to buzz your lips by simply doing the Buzzzz thing you did with you lips when you were a little kid or is the air you're suppose to blow through the emouchure suppose to create the buzz. Is it a combonation of both or some Taiwan method I've never heard of?

Please clear this up for me because I really want to advance right now. Thanks in advance.

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    It is not as important as you might think, IMO there are other things that your time would be better spent on.

3. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    I never lip buzz. I find it only causes problems.

4. Trumpet Hobo

Trumpet Hobo Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2005
    Minnesota
    Why not just play the trumpet? :?:

5. NickD

NickD Forte User

It's very individual...

To buzz or not to buzz! This is very much up to the individual.

I do it. Here's a spot to check out some sound files I have on the mater.

http://www.ampcast.com/music/23689/artist.php

If you scroll down to the middle of the list (there are over 100 files there) you'll find some sound files with teh sub-titles "trumpet lectures." I've got a couple of lectue demos on lip buzzing there. OK, the first file is 75 down from the top and is called--Mpce. Peel Away.

I hope that helps a little.

Peace.

Nick

6. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    2G,

Can you buzz efficiently on your mouthpiece alone?

EC

7. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    Technically yes, but I want to be better than that.

8. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    2G,

Try something for me?

Remove your tuning slide and hold your horn normally in your left hand,
    holding your mouthpiece in your right.

Place your mouthpiece on your lip (normal position), set your corners as if to play, and blow a sustained, warm air column through the mouthpiece. Be careful not to let your lips buzz while blowing.

Lift your horn up and carefully insert the mouthpiece into the receiver of your leadpipe while sustaining this warm air column. An easy buzz should commence when your moving air collides with the static air inside the tube.

Note how free of brittleness and effortless this buzz is. It should be healthy.

It appears to me, as difficult as this is to guess in text/over the web, that you're trying to create a buzz instead of allowing it to just happen by letting your lip respond to your air.

I'll probably be wrong (never attempted this remotely before), but give it a try and PM me with your result?

Thanks,
    EC

[/u]

9. Trumpet Hobo

Trumpet Hobo Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2005
    Minnesota
    I agree. :D

10. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    From what I was was taught, and what I have personaly experianced, buzzing takes alot more effort than actualy needed to play. I was always told that if you want to do some buzzing to warm up don't free buzz (lips only) for more than 5 seconds at a time without breaks, and don't buzz on just the mouth piece for more than 10 seconds with out breaks. The muscles in your lips are some of the smallest muscles in your entire body, and to free buzz like that can tire them out very quickly and can even do some long-term dammage if you're not careful.

I agree with Mr. Carroll. Buzzing though the horn should take very little effort, you should not have to "try" to buzz, it should just happen when reacting with the pressure from the mouthpiece and the air being blown through. When my Symphonic Band played at the BoA national concert band festival, we had a trumpet proffesor from one of the universities back east who was working with all the bands after the perfomance. He taught us pretty much the same thing that Mr. Carroll was talking about. He said to start by just holding your lips like you're about to play and just blow air though your lips, with no buzz. Then move the mouthpiece into place and you can feel how the emboucer fits into the mouthpiece, still with out makeing a buzz, you should be able to hear the sound of the air going though the mouth piece go higher in pitch. Then slowly bring up the horn and put it on the mouthpiece, without taking it off your lips or stop blowing air though, and like magic you suddenly begin playing without even thinking of buzzing. He whent into all the science of how it works, but that's way to complicated for me to explain, but it mainly had to do with the air moveing though the lips, the pressure of the mouthpiece on the lips, and the static air inside the leadpipe. It's really quite interesting actualy...