Buzzing without the mouthpiece.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Double_G, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    Ok, Mr. Carroll I'll PM you tomorrow. I'm taking the night off. I've had a rough past week and a half. But thanks for the advice everyone.

2. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    2G,

It's Ed, not Mr. Carroll.

Don't sweat it. . . take as much time as necessary and then fool around with my suggestion. I'm uncomfortable not doing this in person, but it's a brave new world.

Best,
    EC

3. Whataguy!

Whataguy! Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2004
    Osaka, Japan
    Ed, I tried what you suggested to Double G. It definitely works and, as a bonus, I sounded freer. Amazing. I'm going to commit what I felt to memory. Thanks.

4. ecarroll

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    My pleasure, Whataguy

Say hi to Mike Zonshine (former student and a great guy) if you see him there.

Aloha,
    EC

5. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    This in a nutshell is the whole idea behind the Bill Adam approach. This allows us to play in phase with the instrument. If you are in Hawaii, look up Mark Minasian. Great teacher.

6. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    Um...what is this thread about? I thought it was about "buzzing without the mouthpiece"...is it? It sounds like we're talking about buzzing on the mouthpiece... :?:

While it's fresh on my mind (and just in case the thread is about buzzing without the mouthpiece), should the same pitch being buzzed be what you play into the mouthpiece? Because buzzing with the lips alone and buzzing with the mouthpiece are two different things, esp when it comes to pitches (buzzing a C is not a C on the MP).

7. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    It is indeed about buzzing without the mouthpiece. I'm trying to figure out how to do it without trying as hard and then was told that the player doesn't even really make the buzz...it's the horn. So I feel a bit stupid. :bash:

8. ecarroll

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    2G,

Careful........the horn doesn't buzz. Listen quietly as it rests in its case: no sound.

The point that I was trying to make is that you're probably trying too hard to "create" your buzz, and the demonstration that I suggested is to illustrate how easy it is to make a good one. Let your lip respond to and follow your air. As I mentioned offline, once you can make an easy buzz (in every register) on your mouthpiece you can try to make the same without.

Best,
    EC

9. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Don't blow AT the lips. Blow through the lips, through the horn.

When you go higher up the register, you should feel the air focusing, but not becoming piercing, hard. When you go lower, you should feel the air become more open, NOT SLOWER. Air velocity should always stay about the same.

(What are you talking about?)

The air collumn should become smaller as you go higher up the register, or softer in dynamic (The aperture should also shrink and expand). the air collumn should become larger as you go lower down the register, or louder in dynamic. The speed of air should always be the same. When you blow fast, you blow hard, hot, and the sound is less than magical.

When I lip buzz, I do it to make sure the upper register, lower register, middle register buzzes, not dies. I get that feel in my mind, then mpc buzz. Then I play.

The objective of practicing the horn: The register of the trumpet (Low Gb to high C) feeling all the same. Feeling comfortable when you play. thats why people practice buzzing, to get it in their mind to keep from over tensing, or over relaxing. keeping consistency.

Curious, did you interpet something I said as meaning that?

The horn does much to help the sound of the player, but you have to realize without the buzz, there is no sound. Improving and refinining the buzz should therefore improve and refine the sound coming out of the end of the horn.

Van

10. Maurito Sosa

Maurito Sosa New Friend

May 10, 2011
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Hey Ed, this is a very interesting advise.
    I started playing the trumpet on my own, and I started it by buzzing without the mouthpiece. I have a great flexibility to create different pitches without the mouthpiece, but I think this might be the source on my difficulties to create a clean beautiful sound. Also my range is nothing to be proud of, as well as my flexibility with the horn (or just the mouthpiece...)
    Could it be that I´m so used to buzz without the mouthpiece that I´m not able to relax my lips when I go to the horn?
    Also I think this might be the problem for me not to be able to use the toungue properly.....
    thanks anyways for the new ideas!