Byron Stripling...is he really all that...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Phatmon, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Phatmon

Phatmon New Friend

Oct 1, 2004
    Forest Lake, Mn
    I listen to him and I am blown away yet I hardly ever hear about him. Why is that??? :shock:

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    The bussiness is a beast unto itself. It's prolly just the curciut he plays isn't very into a media outlet. It's a closer, personal, memory gig. And yeah, he is a great player. There are many of them out there that not many people know about... arg, but that's a whole gripe session unto itself. Just my two cents. Can I have change? lol.

3. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Yes,

He's a great player and has one of my favourite sounds on trumpet, resonant and full and musical. I suspect that he's happy with what he does..a bit of solo work, the odd record, clinics where he philosophises about all sorts of things..some of which are trumpet related!!! I also think that he doesn't get the press because he isn't a renowned high note guy..we seem to be attracted to the higher,faster, louder set and his playing just doesn't fit that category. He can play that way (if in doubt listen to the GRP All Stars recording live in Japan where he trades licks with Arturo, Chuck Findley and Randy Brecker on 'Cherokee') but it just doesn't seem to be his trademark.

I know one thing..if somebody said to me put together a section capable of playing anything he'd be first call.

If you hadn't noticed I'm a big fan.

Regards,

Trevor

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Byron Stripling

I had the pleasure of meeting him and hearing him up close and personal in 1995-96. He is a wonderful guy and an incredible player. I could not believe how HUGE his sound was and the sizzle! OMG - his sound is the epitomy of SIZZLE.

I am a big fan of his.

Alex Yates

5. latinjazzcat

latinjazzcat Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    West Virginia
    He is also playing on the new Broadway cast recording of the 42nd Street soundtrack, I believe. I'm not sure what part he's playing, but it's worth picking up regardless...he sounds great with Jeff Kiviet.

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    as they say, "he is all that and a bag of chips"

I only have 1 cd of him ( joe henderson big band) but he is a great player and person.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Another guy that I think falls into that category - being pretty danged good but generally not known of - is Jeremy Davenport. I was watching Emeril Lagasse's show one night and instead of his normal house band, he had Jeremy on and I though "Wow! Who is this guy and why have I never heard of him?"

It's the fickleness of the business. Your Britneys and Jessicas are pushed and pushed by their promotors for the sake of making money, not really for keeping the world abreast of the greatest musical talent out there. Then you have guys like Byron Stripling and Jeremy Davenport - fine musicians, but their music isn't something that you can really promote to the masses to make a lot of money - and they simply go unoticed for the most part.

8. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    I also had the pleasure of hearing Byron at the Vermont Mozart Festival in 95, and not only did he sound terrific, he sang great, and was a great and inspirational teacher. I even got to drive with him to the gig from where we were staying and get a lot of extra encouragement and trumpet wisdom. He is a really great guy!

Jordan

9. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
  10. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Hi Patrick,

I think Jeremt Davenport is great too. I have a couple of his CD's 1996: just entitled "jeremy Davenport" and a 1997 one called "maybe in a dream"

In both he plays trumpet and sings to old standards, and a few of his own compositions, and I think he improvises and sounds great. The recordings are from the Telarc label and are recorded very well if you are interested - I bet he sounded great live.

Graham.