Byron Wallen's new Trumpet

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Castle Bravo, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Castle Bravo

Castle Bravo Piano User

Nov 6, 2003
    Scheßlitz, Germany
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Damn :shock:

Would this be considered a "Presentation Model Eclipse" :D

Nice work Leigh. Did you make that snake?

3. imjazd1

imjazd1 New Friend

Nov 15, 2003
    Wow! What a beautiful horn! I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks. I've not had the opportunity to try an Eclipse yet, but can't wait! Congrats Leigh.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Ahhh, so that's what Leigh ended up with last Saturday while we were chatting! Hmm....I thought he said "brace"....I guess that chunk of brass rod WOULD tend to stiffen the bell bow up a little wouldn't it?

Might even balance out the weight of the heavy bell too!

Good job, Leigh...beats the suggestion I gave you.

A whole new meaning to the phrase "Wanna see my snake?"

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Sweet! I reallylike the look of that. It must have taken a lot of work to get that to look right because the "snake" appears to draped and coiled around the bell bow - very relaxed.

Good job Leigh!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Leight what does the "L" stand for. I noticed it on the first pic.

7. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Hi Guys!"

Yes i made the snake, it started out life as a 12 inch long peice of 12mm diameter solid brass bar.
    I just kinda filed and cut and filed some more until it looked like a snake.

At that stage it was of course still dead straight, so i then had to heat it up until it was glowing red and using 2 pairs of pliers bend it a few degrees at a time around the bow.
    It is a very long process indeed, but the guy who commisioned it is overjoyed so i guess the effort was worth it.

As for the "L" well there are 2 other letters alongside that "L" HR !

So it actually reads "LHR" which stands for " Large Heavy Red"

It means the horn has a LARGE throated bell made from HEAVY guage RED brass. Heavy guage is 0.7mm thick compared to 0.5mm on our regular weight bells.

And yes you are correct Toots! The snake is not simply for show, the bell used on this particular model dictates that we need to have some extra weight at the rear of this horn so that it still has great balance.
    So we can of course do this in many different ways, Byron asked me if i could make a snake instead of a normal sheet brace, so we did.

Byron's write up of this horn will go up on our website soon i hope.

Byron Wallen is a fantastic jazzer, and won the BBC'S Jazz inovation award at the tail end of last year. I believe he is currently playing with Courtney Pine.

Regards

Leigh

8. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    That's beautiful.

I like the scratch gold / gold plate scales.

9. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
  10. lonelyangel

lonelyangel Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2003
    London
    I saw the 'golden python' today at the factory. Leigh is an absolute artist - the snake even has belly scales and looks as though it ate a good meal a couple of days ago. The horn is now balanced perfectly and plays like a dream. Check the eclipse website and refer to the bells page to read my description of the large heavy red for more details. Byron sounds awesome on this horn - really strong with a brilliant weighty sound - he plays on a very large monette piece, a B2 I think.
    If these pictures dont inspire some more late enteries into the competitio I'll be surprised -no more snakes though: all Leigh's custom horns are one-off exclusive designs!

In March I'll be playing gigs in Paris and Brussells with Andrew Hill (the legendary American pianist and composer) and his British big band. Apart from Andrew's MD, Ron Horton, all the trumpet section will be on Eclipses - Byron Wallen, Kevin Robinson (on his large copper Eclipse) and yours truly.

That section is going to be dazzling on the bandstand, I'll take photos and have them posted when I get back.

Noel.