C --> Bb Music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Jan 21, 2016.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Well I've been wondering about this and I think I need to get this straight.
    How do you transpose music for C-Pitched instrument playable for Bb Pitched trumpets?
    I'm trying to transpose this Ride of the Valkyrie excerpt for C trumpet to Bb Trumpet.
    Learning a C trumpet will be a VERY different matter.......

2. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Imagine the written note is a tone higher. In C-music, such as for piano, if you see a middle-space C (C5, I believe), play a D, et c.
    Now the trick comes with sharps/flats. For "flat" keys, take away two flats, e.g. written Ab becomes Bb. For "sharp" keys, add two sharps, e.g. written D becomes E.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Yep,
    Read the music up a tone, and the Key Signature moves up a tone. Key of F to G, Key of Eb to F etc. Worst is Key of F# to Ab. Familiarity with the Circle of 5ths helps to move around the Key signatures.

Try reading the Hymn Book, it will seem hard to start with and you may even want to write a couple out on blank manuscipt, then your brain will kick in like a switch. About 2 days it took for me, then practice regularly. Try playing with a piano, and read the top line over their shoulder - that works well to improve the skill.

Learning C trumpet is dead-set the easiest to learn. Just find the bottom C, play the open partials, and then run the chromatic from bottom C to Mid C. You will only find it hard at the top end, the sound may sound thinner. If you are struggling with a High C on the Bb trumpet, then you may bottom out on the Bb under High C. That is where you learn quickly that higher pitch does not mean a higher range, you need better chops to play higher.
    Good luck

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  4. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Thanks guys!

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Transposing well-known hymns is excellent practice--every wrong note carries its own painful punishment.

6. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Very true.

7. Lukarino

Lukarino Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    You miss one note, it's a mistake
    Miss two, and it's jazz