c conversions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by dcpritchett, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    I'd love to hear about it!

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    My Cecillo's now in sloppy C. Well I cut the tuneing slide portion down and it is kind in tune, more so when valves are not depressed. if you do it use a flat grinding wheel and not a saw

3. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    OK then . . . This 1921 CONN was sold originally as a 2B New Wonder. The 2B came only with a Bb/A rotary slide. At this point in the model history it was morphing into the new 4B Symphony which was virtually identical, but came with a newer style rotary slide and a conventional slide complete with a Bb/A stop rod assembly. I believe that as late as 1921 both models were sold side by side. By 1922 the 2B was no longer available and the 4B had become the 26B Symphony.

[​IMG]

I purchased this horn because I needed this rotary slide to complete my 1917 3B New Wonder Trumpet kit which was missing the high pitch rotary slide, and I wanted the case for another project. Job one was to come up with a conventional slide to replace the rotary. This was made up using parts from three different horns. At this point I wasn't sure whether or not I would be converting it to C. (From here on I will refer to this horn as a 4B as that is essentially what it is without the rotary slide.)

[​IMG]

As of my last post I have decided to go ahead with a C conversion. The 4B leadpipe was too long to be used, so I decided to use a Pilczuk pipe I have here. The compression and overall condition of the horn more than justify using it for this project. Here it is with the new pipe fitted, tuning slide shortened and bell tail cut to the correct length. The open partials play in tune. The next job is to shorten the valve slides . . .

[​IMG]

4. Sturmbill

Sturmbill Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia
    I can put in a plug for Ivan's work! I sent him a bell, valve block and lead pipe and he converted the parts into a really nice C that I use in my quintet playing. Nice, compact sound that fits better in that setting than does my 239 Bach!

5. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Here it is today . . .

[​IMG]

Slides cut to size, first slide reversed with thumb ring. Put the valves in to try it out, and it plays in tune across the scale. Now, just to send the leadpipe and tuning slide off to be silver plated, then I can finish up the assembly and polish her up!

6. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    So, here it is finished . . .

[​IMG]

I think it turned out pretty well!

[​IMG]

gunshowtickets likes this.
  7. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I really like your herald-y C conversions!

8. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Thanks! Some 16:9 screens exaggerate that. Here's the other side . . .

[​IMG]

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    But the cost of orthodontics sort of negates the cost saving of a home conversion!

10. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Ar ar! Whatever keeps your pants up!

[​IMG]