C/D Tottle valved trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Mar 28, 2015.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
  2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Bach C trumpet cut down to play in D with a rotary valve and loop to bring back into C.

Regards, Stuart.

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I thought Tottle normally used a Bach D trumpet and added the loop in the main slide to bring it down to C. Roger Voisin played a 4 piston valve instrument in this C/D configuration, one of the original Merii Franquin design built by Tibouville-Lamy.

I have a similar instrument in prototype stage (have used it in several concerts - including one tonight). Mine is basically a C trumpet with a very short bell and rotary ascending valve in the bell tail. Showed it at the NTC and will have a more final version on show at the ITG conference in May. David Hickman had Blackburn make a 5 valve version.

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina

Ivan, since it is a D, and then you trigger it back down to C, would not the non-open fingerings tend to be sharp when in C...? Within lipping range? Thank you for the info.

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Mine is a C trumpet which can ascend to D (full length C lead pipe and main slide). The devil is in the detail, and that detail is deciding what lengths to make the valve tubing. An instrument like this can never be regarded as one to play in both keys. However, due to their simplicity of scale, baroque D trumpet parts can be played successfully.

6. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    I was watching this. It was out of my price range, though. It looked fun to play.