"C" mouthpeice

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by hornblatt, Oct 21, 2005.

1. hornblatt

hornblatt Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2005
    DC area
    Hi guys,
    I know i just posted this on TH but I'd like other opinions so here goes:

I recently bought a Bach 239/25s C trumpet. About 2 weeks after I bought the horn, I got a Blackburn tuning slide for it. The problem with this is that when I'm in tune there is only about an eighth of an inch of the slide showing. I absolutly love the sound and the feel of this slide so I don't want to change it.
    I also recently switched from a 3C to a 3B on my Bb. I was having slotting issues with the 3C if you want to know the reason. The change was perfect. I now have better slotting and i also have better tone and feel.
    Now, since you have some backround information, here is the real problem:
    When I first tried my new 3B on my new C, it seemed to be fine. Now, after working with it for a few months I relize there is a major issue with intonation in the high register. Even as early as the D on the staff everything goes flat. Normally I would just push in a bit and lip the low notes down but with the slide i can't. Trying to play excerpts like Mahler 5 is horrible. The A is about 20 cents flat while everything else is in tune.

Does anyone have any suggestons for a mouthpiece that would help?

Thanks,

2. x3matt

x3matt New Friend

Sep 14, 2005
    emory, va, usa
    I had a similar problem and it was with the gap in the mouthpiece receiver. Try another mouthpiece brand to find out. Good Luck

3. matthoffner

matthoffner Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    minneapolis, mn
    i have experimented with using my Blackburn tuning slide and 25H leadpipe and the intonation wasn't the best. A Blackburn tuning slide AND a leadpipe, however, can really help the horn (E and E flat can be played with normal fingerings usually)

I also would have to second x3matt's advice on the mouthpiece. Its amazing how different the shank differs - My Bach's are much longer than my C2