C to D trills

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hornhead, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Hornhead

Hornhead Pianissimo User

Jun 6, 2008
    Washington
    Hi all, this is my 1st post. I have beeen playing trumpet since i was 7, now 56.

I own

1952 Martin Committe Deluxe w/Heim 2 Mouthpiece (Play most of the time)

1976 Silver Bach Strad ML 37 Bell with 24 CT gold trim kit and 1st Valve trigger

1994 Callichio Silver 2/2 ML (Reeves Aligned)

and last but not least a 1972 Yamaha silver YFH-731 Flugel wtih a Reeves/Purviance P8 Rim F E mouthpiece.

I use various mouthoieces on the Bach & Callichio. ( Bach 3C, Purviance 8A and sometimes just for fun a Marcinkiewicz Bobby shew

More on my history later.

My question is any tips or tricks to make fast trilling between C and D on the staff easier?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Hornhead!

Sometimes kind of holding our lips like a C# makes the trill easier. Is it equally difficult if you start on the D and trill to the C?

Have fun!

3. Hornhead

Hornhead Pianissimo User

Jun 6, 2008
    Washington
    Thanks for the suggestion. That is waht i thought and what I have been tryiing. Playing the C a bit sharp. I can get D to E flying and Bb to C but C to D is a bitch! it is really hard to get it locked in.

Almost got it on my Bach with the Purviance mouthpiece.

F to G is tough too!

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In the case of C-D and F-G, we are playing notes from two different harmonics. D-E and Bb-C are part of the same harmonics.

Practice seems to help some players. :cool:

5. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    in the case of the D-C trill (or C-D) it's very important to keep a very very VERY steady air flow. Other trills are so much easier to play we don't tend to think of how to "use" our air. We blow through the horn and flick our fingers up and down. With the D-C trill, start slowly and gradually get faster and faster. Pay special attention to what your air is doing. Picture that C# in the middle (like what was mentioned). Try not to move your lips from D to C. (After all it is only a whole tone). Keep your lips in one spot and really focus the air through the two notes. Start slow and speed it up. Eventually it won't be a problem to start out quicker.

Air _________________
    Finger ~~~~~~~~~~~~

(like that?) lol

6. gdong

gdong Piano User

Jun 7, 2008
    LA/Lake Tahoe/NYC
    Stamp #1. Practice that, read the intro about the symbol above the C-D (and successive note pairs). It's apparently the single most important thing to master is the traverse between C-D etc... Check out the Stamp Book, all that is geared towards making C-D easier and with it comes all the other notes.

7. Hornhead

Hornhead Pianissimo User

Jun 6, 2008
    Washington
    Yeah. nice graphic!:roll:

8. Hornhead

Hornhead Pianissimo User

Jun 6, 2008
    Washington
    Stamp #1 :dontknow:the Stamp book?:dontknow:

9. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    Practice Clarke #4 a lot.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Start slowly. Quarter notes, then eighths, then 16ths............... Arban even used this method which only works if you practice it diligently. Those are tough trills and simply need to have enough time invested. There are no short cuts. I find G to A on top of the staff equally tough!