C trumpet bell on Schilke E3L

Discussion in 'Horns' started by MalinTrumpet, Dec 4, 2004.

1. MalinTrumpet

MalinTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2004
    New York City
    Has anyone out there put a Bach C trumpet bell on a Schilke E3L and had success? Someone has offered a #25 bell which I know nothing about. Anyone know anything about #25 bell. Does fitting a Bach C trumpet bell to an E3L put it in Eb or D or do I have a choice?

Larry Malin

2. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Talk to Charlie Melk before you do anything.

3. Johntpt

Johntpt Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Toluca, Mexico
    Larry-

The Bach 25 bell is a Bb bell, in fact the standard bell for Bb large bores. If it has been cut to fit on C trumpet it could work for the D side of your E3L but not for Eb - it would be too long. You can have a Bach C trumpet bell fit on your horn for Eb but the horn has to be altered. The tube coming out of the valve section has to be cut to make the thing play in tune.

I have an E3L4 and was lucky to find an old 244 bell bent for one of the small bore D trumpets. This fits fine for Eb and my horn did not have to be altered.

Many players have had C bells fit for Eb with the alteration and love it.

Someone at Dillon Music should know a lot about this type of operation.

JU

4. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    JU,

I was in Charlie's shop the other day and saw pictures of your horn. It looks great! A 244 bell. Where did you find that, and what horn is that bell normally used for?

Larry,
    I agree with the above, certainly talk to Charlie Melk, he's got Eb trumpets down! JU is correct too, to my knowledge.

5. Johntpt

Johntpt Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Toluca, Mexico
    Eric (I think it's you)-

The 244 bell was an option for D trumpets back in the Mt Vernon and early Elkhart days. I have an older Bach catalog that gives "Vindabona D bell" as the description. I take that to mean it is similar to the old 238 bell which his Vindabona bell for C trumpet. These were designed to give a darker more Viennese type sound, whatever that is. On my horn it has a rich middle of the road sound - not too dark, but with just enough sparkle. It gives my Schilke a much more Bach-like sound and it fits in well with the section playing Bach C trumpets.

I still want to try your Eb sometime!

JU

6. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    John,

Yeah, it's Eric. Thanks for the info, I never knew about those bells. I do hope we get a chance to meet sometime; I'd certainly like to play your horn as well. It sounds like an excellent combination to me.

7. Johntpt

Johntpt Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Toluca, Mexico
    Eric-

And yes Charlie did a great job on my horn. He built the rail himself and used a Bach part for the tube. It fits perfectly, even better than the Schilke bells that were made for my horn! Now I need to get him to lacquer it for me.

I didn't know he photographed my horn. I'll have to give him some crap about it the next time I see him!

JU