C trumpet choices

Discussion in 'Horns' started by wardsd, Feb 2, 2004.

1. wardsd

wardsd New Friend

Jan 15, 2004
    Hello.

I am looking for a reasonably priced C trumpet, and so far have a line on two choices. First is a 80's Bach lacquer with 239 bell and Blackburn 12-350 leadpipe. The second is a kanstul French Besson Silver. The French Besson is $200 cheaper. I have not played either one - they would both be internet purchases, but both would be returnable. Are there any opinions out there between these?

Steve

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Understand that I have never played a C trumpet, nor a Kanstul. But, knowing the rep and quality of Kanstul, I really think you would be a lot happier with the Kanstul.

Jack, do you see what your advertising has done to me?

3. Nonsense Eliminator

Nonsense Eliminator New Friend

Nov 2, 2003
    I guess the first question would be, "What are your other options?"

I'm not a big fan of buying trumpets you haven't played. People sell horns for a reason, and it's impossible to be certain that the reason isn't "it sucks" without playing the horn. In particular, a 20-year-old horn (Bach or not) is a bit of a crapshoot as far as the condition of the valves and leadpipe. If you're near a major city, and not on an impossibly tight budget, chances are good that you can find a store that has some decent used horns that you can try for yourself.

Failing that, get the Bach! ;)

4. lonelyangel

lonelyangel Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2003
    London
    You could always wait for 20 years and hope to pick up a second hand Eclipse C trumpet! :)

Seriously though, if they are both returnable why not get both of them - make a comparison between them and keep hold of the one you like best!

Just a thought. Noel.

5. wardsd

wardsd New Friend

Jan 15, 2004
    The seller of the Bach is Robb Stewart, so I trust his description at least enough to try it out. He said the valves are in good shape. I expect it to play decent with the Blackburn leadpipe. I will probably get that one and see how it plays.

Steve

6. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    I'd go for the Bach if I had to make a choice without trying.

Dave

7. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    It's too bad you can't play both horns before buying. One of the best C's I ever played was a .462 French besson. However, sight unseen or without some return policy I'd go with a Bach if they are comparable in price.

Mike

8. Reverend

Reverend Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    Greater Houston area
    Wardsd,

Though not on your list of C trumpets, the ZeuS C has been getting rave reviews!

If you live anywhere near the Houston, TX area, you are more than welcome to come to my studio and try one out!

Blessings,

9. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    robb stewart will not sell something unsatisfactory. i had a 239 for many years. they're good, in fact i prefer them.

dj

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    What prices are we talking here?

Last year I bought an older Kanstul made F. Besson Meha C that plays very nice, but I only paid like $550 for it. Suits my needs just fine and I knew I couldn't get a nice Bach, Yamaha, or whatever for anywhere close to that price.

Greg