C Trumpet in Raw Brass

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by cobragamer, Mar 13, 2011.

1. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    I have a C Trumpet Yamaha 740 that has been stripped in order to give a brighter tone because the original owner had an already dark tone. Should I relaquer the horn for a darker sound and if so how much would it cost me.

2. Octiceps

Octiceps Pianissimo User

May 5, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Relacquering the horn will not give it a darker sound. I'm one of those people who believe that the finish of the instrument has a very negligible, if any, effect on the sound. You're much better off switching to a mouthpiece with a deeper cup or bigger diameter. Plus, that would be a lot cheaper than a relacquer job.

3. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    But if you do end up wanting to laquering the horn for other reasons, I think it'll run you a several hundred.

DoctorValve (a VERY trusted trumpet repair shop) replates laquer for $625. Silver plating is the same price.

Dr. Valve - Trumpet Repair Services

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Both Kanstul and Anaheim Band Instruments in Anaheim will do a very nice lacquer job for far less than that. I can't remember exactly what Kanstul charges but I had a full overhaul with dent removal, replaced springs/corks/felts, cleaning, and polish/relacquer for under $350 at ABI. They did a fantastic job, too.

Unless you just like the patina of an unlacquered horn, I highly recommend the ABI approach. It makes the instrument beautiful and much easier to maintain. The sound did not change that I could tell.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Moving the front bell brace will change the sound. On the 740 moving it forward will make the player think that it is darker, moving it towards the valve will make the audience experience less brilliant.

No guarantees what will happen to the reponse though.

6. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    Will I have trouble selling it in the future if it is raw brass

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    An intact finish will generally increase the value of the horn,