C trumpet intonation alternate fingerings and intervals...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetnick, Aug 11, 2011.

1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Since quite a while I was thinking of writing this but have always postponed till now...

So there it goes:

My observation is that mostly I need to use alternate fingerings when reaching for the troubling notes on C trumpet (such as 2 ledger line E and E flat, sometimes D and very occasionally C) when playing ascending intervals leading to the mentioned notes and eventually when it is a starting note.

Apparently when coming down from higher notes to the "troublesome" notes seems to sound mostly in tune.

Anybody else having similar observations?

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Here's my take on it...Since those notes are usually a little flat, and you are playing them slightly more "sharp" when decending because of the latent tension from the higher notes, they are more in tune.

My C setup is so close to being in tune that a very slight lipping on those notes does the trick without alternate fingerings.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Since I changed my Bach to a tuning bell configuration, I don't need alternate fingerings anymore. Since switching to a Monette Prana C2D the C is no longer sharp either.

Standard Bach 229Hs without modification generally do need help though,

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Right Dale, I am aware of it. Just thought that putting it here may help students told to always alternate finger on C trumpet. Just a thinking (listening) material....My trumpet is very well in tune but I am not that good in lipping things up (to put it in another way, I hate doing it), so prefer to use alternate fingerings when I have to....

[size=-4]and just for Rowuk - I do have a tunning bell configuration too... my former teacher didn't need the alternate fingerings on his, but I still do...[/size]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  5. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Fair enough.

6. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Like apparently eveyone else on this thread :grouphug: I have a tuning bell C
    The E and Eb are close enough that I can usually play them in tune with "regular fingerings" but if playing loudly in orchestra (say, Mahler!) I need to use the alternates.
    Funny how horns work...

7. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Nope, mine is a run-of-the-mill 239 CML, fixed bell, 25C pipe.

8. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I know - it was a joke :cool:

9. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I had fits getting my "C" sorted out ('65 Strad, ML 236 bell)--and overall the horn is a little flat; but finding the right mouthpiece worked wonders. For me it was a Curry 5TF. Intonation is quite good and I almost never have to use alternate fingerings. Now I just need to get a 5TF built with a Schilke 13A4 rim.

10. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    I have used for the last 2 years ONLY a C trumpet for everything.....from weddings to jazz to big band......at first I found that anytime I went below the Eb that I needed to think ahead and pull the 3rd vavle slide out.....

But as I got use to my instrument and we became one -- I found that lipping those notes was the ticket!

I also found that the alternate fingerings sometimes worked but off times were just the opposite -- they made those notes sharp.

Would I give my C trumpet away for anything in the world? NO!!
    I have a super edge when it comes to playing in Bass clef and not needing to transpose, because I often sing in Bass clef ...

May the force be with you....

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011