C Trumpet Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GordonH, Jul 28, 2005.

1. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Hello Manny

Any suggestions for a C trumpet mouthpiece?
    I rarely play C trumpet but I had the chance to get a good Bach one very cheaply so I took the chance on it and its playing well.
    The only issue is mouthpieces.

I use a B1-5M Prana for Bb trumpet.
    I use a E-2 Prana for Eb trumpet.

I have tried both in the C trumpet to get a feel for what might work with it.
    They both felt too deep and the sound was not bright enough.
    Do you think a C1-5 standard rather than Prana might be the way to go?
    I can get them on trial from Tom without any problems but as sending them back is expensive i would rather narrow the choice down and i thought you might know other people who are playing B1-5M and know what they are using on C trumpet!

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Gordon,

Nice to hear from you.

I like to keep my Bb and C mpcs the same, so, yeah, I think your instincts are right. If you have no problems with the Prana, in other words you feel acclimated to it, go with the Prana version. I will say this: redouble your efforts at getting as full a breath as you can when you play the Prana C mouthpiece. I think that's what the acclimation period is all about. Lots of breath in and lots of thick, relaxed air on the way out. Think of your airstream as touching every last square inch of tubing on the way out. Energy and warmth all at once. In the UK, Maurice Murphy personifies this character of warm energy at all dynamic levels beautifully, I think.

So, whether you choose a 1-5 or a 1-5M I think the use of the breath is the key. If you have the strength in your corners to give you that extra endurance, go with the M cup. Otherwise I think the straight 1-5 version is a dandy mouthpiece and you'll have a few more "highs' in the sound if that's what pleases your ear.

Hope that helps.

ML

3. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Thanks Manny
    I think I will give the C1-5 Prana a try.

I had a fitness test last week and had to do one of those peak flow tests.
    I hit the gauge to the end stop three times and the guy was amazed. I think its a combination of the trumpet playing and the long distance running. I have good lung capacity and I think I inflate my lungs a bit more than the usual 100% (which is never 100% as you can always take a bit more).

John Wallace tells people that if you breath in more slowly you will take in more air and have more control over how you blow it out through the instrument. I think this is true.