C Trumpet playing flat.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by amzi, Mar 3, 2010.

1. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I recently picked up a ML bore Bach Strad "C" trumpet. Using the mouthpiece I use on my old Large bore "C" (Schilke 13C4) I cannot come close to playing up to pitch. With a 13A4 I can play to pitch, but just barely. The tuning slide must be pushed all the way in.

Otherwise the horn plays well--good intonation, slotting, etc. The mouthpiece/receiver gap is rather large 0.207". It is just exasperatingly flat. Other than a shorter lead pipe has anyone got any suggestions about what might help this.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    What leadpipe is one it? Is it a normal Bach pipe or something unusual? Someone may have experimented with a slightly longer pipe.

3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I got the horn very used (it's a mid-60's horn). It has had some modification and the mouthpiece/receiver gap is so wide that a leadpipe change is not out of the question. Because I'm getting older I thought a smaller bore might be a little easier for me to play--and it is--and am wondering if the change in bore size might be something that might take some time to get used to.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    How much previous experience do you have with C trumpets?

5. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I've been playing a "C" for about 20 years--but it was a large bore and not a medium large.

6. Khora

Khora Piano User

Sep 17, 2006
    New York
    I wouldn't think the switch to a smaller bore would make you go flat, so it is most likely that the leadpipe is not quite the right length. That could be due to many issues - people experiment with a great many combinations in attempts to make a horn fit them better.

The quickest check would be to compare the length of the leadpipe to another Bach C, preferably one with a stock leadpipe. Switching pipes might be a relatively simple solution.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If a 13A4 works, then it is your chops. There is nothing technical that would make that mouthpiece sharper than a 13C4 in the normal register.

The "barely" part makes me a bit suspicious. Let someone else that you trust play the horn and see how they fare.

8. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I'm beginning to think it's just me. The only abnormal thing I can see is the mouthpiece gap--and that shouldn't make any difference. I haven't had to move the tuning slides on my other horns in 40 years. I'm wondering if I'm interpreting the brighter sound as sharp and pushing the tone down. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll get Bob (the only other guy around here who plays a "C") to wring it out and see what he thinks.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That is VERY possible. The other issue is that your brain is being fed pitches AND tone quality that it does not expect.