C trumpet problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Wynton, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Wynton

Wynton New Friend

Jul 9, 2005
    I play the Yamaha Xeno C, but condinsation (spit) is building up extremely quickly in the tuning slide. When I have to play a page or two nonstop (without emptying my water key) I sometimes just have to stop because of all the water build up. I don't have this problem with my Bb.

Thanks!

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yeah, that's a drag.

ML

3. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    just tape the water key open... then it will automaticaly drain whenever it needs to...

but if you don't want to sound like crap, then i don't know what to tell you...

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Seriously, though, I just remembered something...

condensation is not spit.

ML

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    what are you playing that is a page or two nonstop? etudes?

who says you cant stop and empty it? :oops:

6. Stradivarius

Stradivarius New Friend

Aug 24, 2005
    California, US
    tell yamaha that you aren't happy with it and ask for a replacement, or for them to try to fix it

7. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    If the spit (I use that term, sorry) builds up in one place primarily, you have a problem. The spit should build up in two or maybe even three places; The main slide, the 3rd Slide, or the 3rd bottom cap.

Try a more rounded slide, see if that helps. Maybe even take off the 3rd cap altogether. See what happens, play around.

My Kanstul 1503 would have buildup in the 3rd cap. very strange.

Van

8. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    So this may be a litle off topic, but why is it that more spit builds up in the 3rd slide rather than the 1st... If you think about it, we use the 1st more, shouldn't it build up there?

9. timcates

timcates Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2004
    Texas - USA
    not sure (can't remember - haven't been playing C lately), but on my Bb - I can play 4th line D or 4th space Eb or E with the spit valve open and not have any effect on the sound (nodal points don't hit...) - I've been known to sneak the left hand around and drain some spit on those notes or on a quick breath...... YMMV

TC

10. Bryan_sop_trumpet

Bryan_sop_trumpet New Friend

Jan 22, 2004
    Cambridge, UK
    I would assume that it's because we play mostly pointing slightly downwards, so gravity doesn't let spit build up in the 1st slide