C trumpet problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Wynton, Sep 5, 2005.

1. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Try a saturn water key.
    It allows more water to drain out each time you use it.

OR

You could try one of those Olds type water keys with the long lever (like a trombone) so you can empty without taking tyour fingers right off the instrument.

I have this problem with my Bach C trumpet.
    I also get water build up in the back of the bell which is usually a cornet problem.
    I am considering changing the water key.

One very annoying feature is there is no third valve water key and no removable slide on the end of the slide like on older Bachs.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Interesting question and topic.

I had a similar issue with my flugelhorn. I'm always conscious of emptying the horn with the water keys, but I was still getting caught in the middle of a line with the water gurgling in the horn. Sometimes I would actually have to flip the horn upsidedown and drain it out of the bell. I'm not sure if the water keys are poorly placed, don't empty enough water or what the problem is.

Anyway, here's what I did to solve the problem. I bought a couple of cases of Sterno and I built a short wire platform under my fluglehorn stand. Right before the gig starts, I fire off a can of the sterno under my flugelhorn stand contraption, and the burning Sterno helps to keep the horn nice and warm so that I don't have near the problem with condensation in the horn. I actually had to build a couple of different prototypes of the wire platform because the first one I built was a little too short and my flugelhorn got so hot I couldn't play it. The second one I built was a little too tall and it didn't keep the horn warm enough, but the third time was a charm and the third platform was just right.

Not really.

I just deal with it and continue to strive to keep the horn free of condensate. It is what it is - the metal of the horn is cool. Breath is warm and moist. Therefore, it condenses on the inside of the horn, building up to the point where it has to be drained.

What kind of an answer were you expecting?

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Replace the cork in your tuning slide water key with the material from a "Pampers." They are "Super Aabsorbant" and should easily get you through two pages as they are good for overnight! The ones I used were for 9-14 lbs.

Hope this is helpful!

Cheers

-cw-

4. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Playing with the water key open is a technique used with Rotary valve trumpets to get the A on the ledger line in tune.
    In fact the key is especially long so you can open it with your little finger while playing.