C Trumpet Project

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Derrick, Apr 28, 2013.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    When I was building my cornetto, something I did was to develop a mathematical model for my instrument, somewhere between a perfectly conical and a cylindrical instrument, then I built the horn a little bit longer and measured the the frequency it produced, and use that to calibrate my model then I interpolated where I needed to cut to get the right length. It was remarkably close to the standard length. You could do this pretty easily with a trumpet, since you know the length of the various tubes and frequencies, IE you know the approximate length of the tubing in the the first valve adds a whole tone, you are going to need to remove about that(mind you not as much) from the whole horn to get the correct tone, however that isn't exact but you could play with the tuning slide to get an idea about how much you need to adjust it one way or the other. Ideally you have some slop in the tuning slide for the main tuning. Once you get that note tuned, you can work on the other slides, in theory these need to be more exact since you don't tune them, but they also will be easier to work with since you don't need to mess with the braces, so you could remove little be little until you get the slide tuned.

2. Derrick

Derrick New Friend

Apr 4, 2013
    This probably has to do with the bell cut that you have made in the past, right? Or have you factored that in and I am still wrong? (Keep in mind this is very possible, even probable!)

3. Derrick

Derrick New Friend

Apr 4, 2013
    I'd much prefer the latter to be honest! Everyone does need some sort of project after a certain time!

I think you may have misunderstood me(or maybe not, perhaps I am the one not understanding!) when I said 5". All of the measurements above are the projected lengths for a C trumpet Olds Ambassador. For instance, the leadpipe is 7 1/2 inches(don't quote me on this at the moment as I tend to mix up numbers unless they're written down!) and the new version would be 5". Yes, it's drastically shorter, but it's to compensate for the bell not being shortened.

I may take your advice on the brass tubing for practice. How much does tubing normally cost? As a high school trumpet player, my income is limited to the very sparse small time gigs, almost all of which I invest directly into lessons.

4. Derrick

Derrick New Friend

Apr 4, 2013
    I thought about doing it in this fashion for a while until I realised how tedious cutting the tubing was going to be if I were to attempt a(for lack of better words) "trial and error" method. The question is truly, how accurate am I with my tools, and for how long until I begin to make careless mistakes?

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    About the time you make the first cut.

6. Derrick

Derrick New Friend

Apr 4, 2013
    Surely my attention span is greater than that!:lol:

7. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I know what you mean, but some mistakes are much more tedious to correct than others;-), which is why I would make a mathematical model and then measure the various components and frequencies first, make a table of gauges, lengths and frequencies for the horn then experiment with the tuning slide, to see how much room you have to make a mistake, all before you start modifying the horn.

8. MiragePilot

MiragePilot New Friend

May 2, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    There are two, nice, Getzen Eterna C trumpets on eBay right now, priced from $450-$550. Nabbing one of those might be a preferred path forward....;-)

9. Derrick

Derrick New Friend

Apr 4, 2013
    In my book, purchasing something on eBay does not constitute as a project:D

10. Derrick

Derrick New Friend

Apr 4, 2013
    By "make a mathematical model" what do you mean exactly?