C Trumpet Project

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Derrick, Apr 28, 2013.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I have only ever seen one Getzen Eterna C and kicked myself for years for not buying it. The Bbs are great donor horns for a C conversion.
    [​IMG]

2. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    What about the quintessential wet rag? That's what I used when welding on my cars, it seems to work pretty well.

I have a C trumpet that somebody made from a Couesnon Renault. I think it plays surprisingly decent, I just evaluated it against a Benge 3C I bought to replace it. The main failing of the Q is that you can easily saturate it volume-wise. The intonation was not bad otherwise. (It is my intention to sell the Q at some point.)

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Wet rags in welding are to prevent burning, in soldering you want to dissipate the heat in brass (copper) very rapidly and very close to your point of soldering.

4. Derrick

Derrick New Friend

Apr 4, 2013
    Update! I have cut down all of the male slides now, and they turned out well and everything fits smoothly back in to the instrument!

Now I have to cut the female slides and move the braces around. The latter will surely be the hardest part.

5. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Sounds interesting. I'm curious to see how it works out!

6. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I thought I would try this thread instead of starting a new one because I think it is related. I recently saw something somewhere about a C cornet. I have to say I don't think I ever heard of a C cornet so I did some more research and I did find several references to C cornets but not near as many as C trumpets. Is there any particular reason one does not find C cornets? Do they not make a good horn or candidate for a conversion? I am thinking about doing one just because you don't hear of them much.

Any thoughts? :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

Thanks,

Ray Z :play:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you don't know where you are going it doesn't matter how you get there.

7. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    They're there, but like the Eb cornet, they are more of a "specialty" instrument, so you won't see many for sale.

8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    It is kind of odd that there aren't more C cornets, since much of the early symphonic repertoire is written for cornet rather than trumpet, yet modern orchestral performers tend use a C trumpet. I have seen many 1900's cornets with any number of adaptable slides, C, A, Bb like the Conn10A1921 The Conn Loyalist

9. Derrick

Derrick New Friend

Apr 4, 2013
    Ok everyone, I realize I'm kind of reviving a dead thread here, but I've been sick for a week and busy the rest.

This weekend I intend to unsolder the braces and cut down the female slides. Anyone wish to donate some pointers for this operation? I.e controlling the heat, removing the braces, using the dremmel tool, etc

Thank you everyone for your interest and help so far!