C trumpet question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by buckhorn, Nov 14, 2015.

1. buckhorn

buckhorn Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2006
    Ohio
    I was asked to play a church gig that requires I play on a C trumpet. I do not not own one and don't know how hard it will be be to transition to one. Before I try to borrow one I'd like your opinions as to whether or not this is doable with limited time one the instrument.

Also, is the receiver on a C the same as a Bb? Will I be able to use my own mouthpiece?

THANKS

2. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    My suggestion: transpose the piece for B-flat trumpet. Yes, you can use the same mouthpiece on the C-trumpet but it takes many, many months to acclimate to the sound, pitch, intonation, and quirks of the C-trumpet. Best of luck on your piece.

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    This. Much safer and less hassles.

4. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    If you are a reasonably skilled player, it should be a matter of a couple days solid practice on a C trumpet to adapt to it. The biggest "issue" is adjusting to hearing a written note higher than you are used to hearing, but it is just one step higher.
    Again, it is not that difficult.
    Rich T.

5. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    It took me about 2 weeks, the first time I tried it. (Also for a church gig.) Same mouthpiece.

If it is a one-time thing, just transpose.

6. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Agreeing on the transposing deal. Might buy a Miraphone C heckel while visiting Germany, every orchestral person needs :D

7. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Sure transposing it would work, but what fun would that be. You want to grow musically and the new experience is just one more thing you will have under your belt. If time allows, borrow a c and "c" how it goes. If you are successful with it you will likely be asked to play again and will eventually have to decide to buy one or not, and who among us doesn't need a reason for another trumpet? My glass is always "half full". Best wishes.

8. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I borrowed a C from my local dealer simply to play a one night gig with an accordian. I had no chance to study the music and it was a one off deal.
    Crazy. yes. painful? a little. Going for notes I thought I had in the bag - and then missing... ouch. It was a great horn. Because of that - I decided to get one, but opted for the sister-horn to the Bb I was playing. It was also a fine horn... but it sat and sat and sat. Finally I had the opportunity to use it again... and I felt better transposing the material to Bb and playing it on the horn where I was most comfortable. Two weeks later I sold my C.
    There's my C trumpet story.
    Take it for what you will.

9. buckhorn

buckhorn Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2006
    Ohio

Before I go to the effort of trying to borrow a C I wanted to check to be sure I wouldn't be wasting my time or time for the music director to locate another player. I am a fairly accomplished player but mostly big band, 70s horn band, musicals and church gigs. Have only in my many years been asked to play a C trumpet once and declined. If I can quickly find a horn I may give it a try and see how it feels. Will get the music this week.

Thanks again

10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    When I came back to playing trumpet in the late 80s I was playing a lot of church services, 8-12 songs per week, my sight transposition was not great especially into F# major. I looked for a C trumpet, the only one I could find was a new old stock Selmer Radial, there was no one to guide me, no internet forums, I just used my ears and played it. I never received any complaints regarding my playing or tuning. I felt the harmonic structure of the C sat better with the pipe organ than the Bb.

I have a Berkley Winds C, (won at a trumpet meet) while not in the same class as the Selmer is quite a good player. Not playing any Church at the moment, I have kept the Selmer.

Regards, Stuart.