C trumpet question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by buckhorn, Nov 14, 2015.

1. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Ken. It sounds like you know what you are doing. If you wont try to play a c then you will never know if it's right for you and the next time someone asks you will decline again or go the transposition route. Either way it doesn't seem right, does it? I don't own a c and have played one one time with marginal results but then again, that was the only time I had an opportunity to need one. Lots of trumpet players here on TM show a c in their signatures along with flugels and piccolos so at some point they were successful enough to need them. You owe it to yourself to borrow one and try the music out for your own piece of mind. Heck, if it sounds squirrely you still can fall back on the transposition to avoid embarrassing yourself. Keep in mind that time is the factor that may keep you from using it, so quick like a bunny and get practicing. Best wishes.

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I don't find it hard at all to switch to a C trumpet. It is not hard, but when you first pick it up, just rely on your ears, and run through your scales, maybe a full set of major/arpeggios, and minors. By the end of the scales you will have adjusted, and won't even realise it is a C unless you go testing the top of your range.

If I am playing in a combo, quite often I will have just a piano part to play with. Transposition from Bb to C not a problem. but often we will move it up a tone, and it is just easier for me to have a spare C set up to grab. I can happily play the C and transpose up for that - so I still have a way to go as far as just moving around in any key. I still like to practice scales going round the circle of 5ths/4ths and that has helped.

For me, I find the C works OK, the more you use it, the easier to just swap. It is no harder than swapping from a trumpet to a Flugel - the good news is I use the same mouthpiece in both, and always have spare mouthpieces - so an easy thing to do. Testing the top of the range on the C is where I get a thin sound, and not quite the depth of the Bb, but I find that as I move in other keys as well. C/D/Eb - and picc - thinner and more slight adjustment to playing style as you move up.

It really is not hard - just play the music - your ears will sort it out quickly.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No orchestra player anywhere needs a Miraphone trumpet!

4. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    If you've played for a while, then there's going to be an acclimation period. Unless you plan on playing continuously on C-trumpet full-time, it's not worth the time.

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Each person is different so what one of us says may or may not be similar for you. That said, I, like you indicated about yourself, play a lot of big band and am a fair player. I recently bought a C -the Kanstul 1510- one of the top pro C horns. And playing it was nothing like playing a Bb. Everything seemed different. If I spend an hour on it ahead of time, then I wouldn't worry about a church gig. But, I wouldn't want to walk in and play without having spent some time on it before hand.

As others indicated, I wouldn't give up the gig. If you can borrow a C and spend some time on it before hand, then you will do fine. Or, borrow the music ahead of time and transpose it for Bb. Best of luck.

6. buckhorn

buckhorn Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2006
    Ohio
    My other concern is my schedule the week I will perform on the C.

Tuesday rehersal on the C
    Wednesday rehearsal on Bb
    Saturday AM rehearsal on Bb
    Saturday PM performance on the C
    Sunday AM performance on Bb
    Sunday PM performance on Bb

These are 3 different gig for 3 different churches...this the season. Concerned about bouncing back and forth from C to Bb.

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    All are on different days except for Sat so you shouldn't have any problem on those days. Going back to Bb never bothered me - it was moving to the C. Just be sure to play some on the C after lunch before heading to the PM gig. Also, if you have adequate warm up time, then no problem. What I hate is walking in and having to pull the horn out of the case and perform cold.

8. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Buckhorn, if you are insecure about the C, don't use it.
    I received first C trumpet as a senior in high school in 1968. I had zero problem adjusting to it and with the permission of my band director, he allowed me to use it in band, but everybody is different. (I used it only on easy pieces where there were no technical passages to mis-transpose).
    If you were playing an Eb/D or piccolo for the first time, I would say don't try it.
    Many of us here have had situations where we had to switch horns in the same piece. It all depends on how much you have worked on each horn.
    Rich T.