C Trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Bach 1 1/4C Man, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Bach 1 1/4C Man

Bach 1 1/4C Man Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2004
    Could you tell me which notes play sharp or flat on C trumpet. Also could you give me as much information as I need to know about them and how should I practice on it . Also what solo are good to known on C trumpet . Then last what books should I use for C trumpet.

Thanks

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Bach,

There are too many too list in varying degrees. The other thing is that I would do you somewhat of a disservice by listing what should be obvious to you as a musician.

Get a good friend who is willing to invest about half an hour with you and find an IN TUNE piano. Start by pulling your first valve slide out about a quarter inch and tune a middle "A" with the MAIN tuning slide until it's absolutely spot on with NO lipping from you. If you lip this note around AND pull the first slide you'll confuse the issue terribly. You need to blow a neutral "A" with the slide pulled out a little.

Once you have your tuning "A" set, play a wide variety of scales while you or your friend take notes as to what notes are very sharp, sharp, neutral, flat, and very flat.

Every horn/mouthpiece combo will give different results. The critical thing is to blow as neutrally as possible and you'll get all the info you need. Then you can develop a mental inventory of in/out of tune notes. If you lip around you'll confuse the issue.

There are many solos from the French tradition that are nice for C trumpet. If you are just beginning work with the C trumpet I recommend that you play some of the solos that you already know on the Bb and play them without piano on your C just for practice. Your teacher/s will have more direct suggestions for you. When you become proficient at transposition you'll have even more options.

ML