C Trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Heavens2kadonka, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    TM Search didnt pull any topics like this up (I'm sure this question has popped up, but my dial up is awful). I have recently been talked into looking for a C trumpet for transposition work. Decided I will postpone two of my projects (The Bach Bb Frankenhorn and my Monette Prana Piece) to focus on this.

(Why can't there be an "adopt a trumpeter" program? :lol: )

---------------------------------------

Heres the question! Whats the best horn I can get for...

$500.00 - $1000.00?
    $1,000.00 - $2,000.00?
    $(*Boutique level cost*)?

I don't have any interest in cutting down one of my Bbs, so I'm just interested in new or used or vintage trumpets that have been in the key of C their entire life..

I've heard one of the best low-cost C's out there right now is the B&S. I am actually considering this horn strongly, though I would have to test it first.

Van (Again, sorry if I am repeating an old question)

2. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    I play a Xeno 8445G C horn and I am very happy with it. The Xenos are well made, play very evenly, and I think have a great tone color. Plus I paid about 1100.00 for it new.

3. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    $500-$1000 - Used Bach 229
    $1000-$2000 - New Bach 229
    $2000 + - Customised Bach 229

4. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    :D

The Bach C DOES have an excellent sound, but its pretty much the only C I've ever heard (That *does* say something, though)!

I'm thinking I will be able to pay for something between $500.00 to POSSIBLY $1200.00. Depends on the hours of overtime I can pull at work.....

Hmmm, noticed the Stomvi Elite C being sold on sale through WWBW for $1600.00...........

Van

5. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    There wa a guy on here the other day that had a bad experience with WWBW. I don't knowif you heard about it, but his "B stock" horns he ordered were mutilated when he recieved them. I would go see any horn that I buy Van. Seriously, some people you just can't trust these days. Not saying WWBW is a bad company, but I would go check out the horn anywhere I would buy one.

6. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I see your from TN. me too (johnson city)

I would just get a used bach, doesnt ahve to be in perfect shape, then drive down to blackburn and get a leadpipe, and if you ahve the extra $ the tuning slide. it totally changed my bach from a decent bach to a great one...

7. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Y'know, there is a good chance I'll do that.

At the very least, I'll find a 229 valve body, and go from there. A Blackburn pipe, and a copper or gold brass C bell. Heavy caps.

Or whatever presents itself. I'll find a way.

Van

8. san antonio horn

san antonio horn New Friend

Jun 2, 2005
    san antonio, tx
    There is a stomve C on ebay right now...starting bid $600. My question is what about horns that were designed to play in both C and Bb.? I think almost everyone made one at one time or another.

9. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    This was mentioned in another post somewhere. What tends to happen is that one key will fall into tune very easily, but the other key will have a more difficult time keeping in tune. For example most Eb/D trumpets tune easier when playing with the Eb set up rather than the D.
    I would guess that most trumpets that are C/Bb probably play better in the key of C, because the main body is primaraly built for C, but then adding the extra tubing and longer slides makes it Bb. But I would guess the tuneing would be more difficult.

10. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    Get NYTC to build you a C trumpet...that should only cost, oh, $3,000-4,000 bucks lol.