C trumpet???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ca5tr0, Apr 1, 2010.

1. ca5tr0

ca5tr0 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Florida
    Hi I own two Bb trumpets right now, a schilke x3 and a bach strad. 37. I'm looking into purchasing a C trumpet but don't know which C trumpets to start looking at. There are so many known brands out there that I don't know where to start. What is a good brand to look at that I can go play on and try different ones. I'm sure there are C trumpets made by other brands that are better than a Bach or a Shilke. I just dont want to have a bias toward Bach and schilke horns. My schilke is amazing. I love the response it gives, and the flexibility it has in tone color.
    I would really appreciate suggestions. =]

2. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Go ahead and have a bias toward Bach and Schilke horns. It's not a bad thing. My C is a Bach large bore with a 229 Gold brass bell and a 7 leadpipe. If you have to start somewhere, start with what brands you are familiar with. Have fun shopping!

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I've only played Bach and Yamaha C's.

I liked both.

If you don't already know, the blow on a C trumpet is different than on a Bb, so it can take a little time to get used to.

Good luck.

4. ca5tr0

ca5tr0 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Florida
    Thanks. I will look into that.
    By different blow you mean??

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Well, for me slotting and pitch center are the main differences and both are more challenging to maintain. I have to use my lips and ears to keep things in tune with a C trumpet more than I do on Bb.

In my experience the smaller the trumpet (Bb, C, D, Eb, piccolo, etc.) the more I have to "work" to play it well.

Your mileage may vary of course, but if you're buying the horn with a specific performance in mind I'd recommend giving yourself as much time as possible to get used to it before you have to perform.

6. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I don't have a C trumpet although I am considering acquiring one. That's the first time I have seen that post. I have heard people say that there is an adjustment to th pitch being higher than that which Bb trumpets are expecting to come from the fingering. Please... elaborate. My interest is piqued.

7. tipo mastr

tipo mastr New Friend

Jun 6, 2009
    a schilke x3 is a pretty big instrument...in fact it's the second biggest trumpet schilke makes...

if you were to go for a C trumpet, try a bach C with a 229 bell and a 25H leadpipe. I don't personally care for them because I don't think the intonation, but they're a pretty popular choice.

If you're looking for a horn to complement your schilke, you should look into a bigger-bore C trumpet. Try some of the schilke large bore Cs or the kanstul 1510 C.

in the end, find a horn you like to play. also if you haven't played a C trumpet before, there WILL be a significant acclimation period. It takes a month or two of consistent practice on both trumpets to be able to switch back and forth without discomfort.

EDIT: I'm also not sure how new you are to C trumpets, but most people use 23 for fourth space Eb and 12 for E when they're playing C horns. Some people use 23 for third space C, but I don't find that the middle C is sharp enough to make a significant difference.

8. Harry Richardson

Harry Richardson New Friend

Jan 17, 2010
    I have a Bach Lg. Bore with a 229 bell/25h leadpipe. This is sort of the standard pro C trumpet in my neck of the woods. Pretty much everyone I know plays this setup. I do have a couple of friends that play Blackburn C's and one that plays an Edwards. Whatever you do, don't settle on a lower quality horn. You'll pay for it.

9. Mark Green

Mark Green New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    Anchorage, Alaska USA
    Castro, the other posters offer some good advice. But just like Bb horns, there are literally dozens of makes of good trumpets of every key. And within each make are models designed for different types of players and the spectrum of musical purposes (like solo or chamber vs. symphony orch.; and like brilliant-sounding American-style piston horns vs. darker-sounding European rotary-valve horns).

I hope you know some players whose C-tpt. playing you admire. Sit down with someone like that, have them play really nice on their horn, then you play their horn and see how it goes. Whether the horn feels like it blows differently from a Bb or not, you will probably be auditorily disoriented (you won't be used to the valve combination for making a particular pitch compared to the Bb) -- so bring an electronic tuner to see how closely you can play the horn in tune, and check out some of the suggested alternate fingerings.

For years I thought a C trumpet I occasionally play was sharp on a fundamental pitch: the 3rd-space C. A tuner helped me realize how wrong I was. I was probably used to my Bb trumpet's characteristically slightly-flat D (concert C) and the C trumpet's C was sharp compared to what I was used to playing. (Now I play my Bb horn's D more in tune!)

Maybe you will find that the player and their horn are a great combo, but you with their horn is not. You might hit on a great make/model for you, while eliminating from consideration those that just won't work well for you. That's a lot better than ordering something and not even knowing you might regret it if you hadn't worked with someone who could empirically help you find your way.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  10. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Mark gives some great advice -- whatever make/model you decide on, make sure you are sitting down with and playing the very instrument you will purchase. Don't look around in local music stores and decide on a model to buy and then go and order one cheaper on-line. If you can't play it you won't know whether the one you get will be good or bad.

I have a Stomvi Elite L that I love -- my son has a Sonare C that he got at the ITG convention last May. He was torn between it and the Eclipse C that would have cost a couple thousand more, but when he played the two side by side with random trumpet players listening, we all agreed that the Eclipse would be a terrific solo instrument while the Sonare would be a terrific ensemble instrument (having a tone which would be much easier to blend with a section than the Eclipse's tone, which was very beautiful but very unique). Since he's using it in symphonic orchestra and wind ensemble, he needed a good section instrument and he's been very happy with it. And I was thrilled to save a couple of thousand dollars;-)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010