C trumpet???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ca5tr0, Apr 1, 2010.

1. trumpetman41

trumpetman41 Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    Blessing makes a nice C trumpet which won't cost you an arm & a leg to purchase. I have one and I love it. This is not a horn that I use daily, so I didn't want to sell the farm to have one. I can transpose very well , so a C trumpet wasn't a high item on my list. It's brighter sounding and works well when needed for the music it was intended to be played on. Have fun shopping.

2. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    I got a Harrelson C (leadpipe 1, bell1) last year. I enjoy playing it, and the tone has blended well with sections and ensembles when I've played it in public. But playing a C is more different than I thought it would be. Every horn has some intonation issues, and the ones on this horn are just different than on any B-flat Ive played. And there is still the issue of my ear not being trained for the pitches coming out the end. After 30 years on B-flat horns I know what a C should sound like, only is doesnt on this horn, naturally.

Saying that, I like the Harrelson a lot. My friend/teacher/band director - owns and plays a Monette C, thinks it plays and sounds good.

Be willing to consider some of the smaller brands, too.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I will argue that most symphonic music was not written "for" the current "standard" C trumpet sound.

In fact, I would go so far as to say, if you are not going to be playing for a living, the particular C trumpet that you buy should have intonation and blow at the top of the list and not necessarily "sound". Why? Becasue you will need to switch and any defects in the intonation will mess with your ability to do so in a short time. There is no name brand C trumpet that sounds so ratty that you would get thrown out of an ensemble. Cracking notes because of a difficult instrument will decrease your "must invite back" factor.

Used horns worth considering (in no particular order):
    Bach
    Getzen
    Kanstul
    Schilke
    Selmer
    Stomvi

I don't know much of anything about any Olds, King or Holton C trumpets.

The other possibility is to have a good tech cut down a Bb horn into C. If they buy an after market leadpipe like Najoom, it could end up being quite good.

4. Mark Green

Mark Green New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    Anchorage, Alaska USA
    I totally agree with Rowuk's first statement, and his prioritization of C-trumpet playing characteristics. Classical and Romantic era symphonic music was written before today's C-trumpet sound and technology were prevalent. Georges Mager -- talk about a grandmaster, he was Herseth's teacher plus Voison, Schilke, etc.! -- was the big booster in America for C trumpets in the symphony orchestra and his students certainly made it stick.

I wonder if Rowuk might have intended to include Yamaha on the list of likely-to-succeed makes?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  5. ca5tr0

ca5tr0 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Florida
    Thanks Mark, that was excellent advice. I will begin to look for trumpet players who play on C trumpets. I really like the Rotary C trumpet. The tone color it offers is more to my liking. Though, I don't know how they would blend in with perhaps a symphonic ensemble at a University. I begin college next fall and plan to do marching band and concert band.

6. Mark Green

Mark Green New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    Anchorage, Alaska USA
    I am not a credible symphony player (not that I wouldn't love to be, and I have played in the local orchestra a few times -- but not enough to have authority based on accomplishment) but I know that there are plenty of rotary trumpets being played in the US and A these days. Guys like Charles Schleuter and James Thompson and probably a whole lot of others use it for the "teutonic" sound. I'm sure the premiere players use both rotary and piston instruments these days, depending on the literature and the kinds of players (and the equipment they possess) in their section.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Let's not confuse the issue for the first C trumpet. We all have to start somewhere. Just make sure that your first one leads to a pleasurable experience.

Yes, Yamaha should have been on the list as well as many other brands that you don't often find used.

Rotaries are different animals. If the section does not use them, I probably wouldn't recommend them. Many praise the rotary trumpet for characteristics that it does not have. They, like piston trumpets come in light and dark sounding versions. The true teutonic sound is NOT big and dark. It changes with register. This is also the difference between traditional rotary and piston trumpets. The piston has a consistent sound from low to high but the rotary has a fat low register, clear midrange and very direct somewhat piercing high register. If you analyse the scores of Mahler, Br├╝ckner, Wagner and Strauss, you see that they scored for these characteristics.

In the USA, your first C should probably be a piston instrument. Many times, your first horn is NOT your last unless the experience was CHAOS.

8. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    While I echo most of the responses you got here, I'd like to add one thing: If you have an opportunity to try one, try a Yamaha YTR-945 rotary C trumpet. For me, with a big, deep mouthpiece, it's the best horn I've ever played for general use. :D Its sound is not the characteristic "rotary" sound, but is to my ears and those of people I play with, like a nice fat sounding piston trumpet.

After years of playing an old Schilke C5 and another old Bach C with 239L bell and 25H leadpipe, I tried the Yamaha rotary and fell in love almost immediately.

Of course, your milage may differ, but if you've got an interest in the rotary, I highly recommend your trying the Yamaha. This model is discontinued, but they pop up on eBay occasionally, and sometimes at music stores like Thompson music or Osmun.

I've been playing mine for nearly 20 years now as my primary horn and love it. :thumbsup:

It's what I'm holding in my photo here.

Guy Clark