C Trumpets for a Trumpet Player, whats the use?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jerec576, Dec 7, 2009.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    The Flugel was the last one I bought. I got it because an organist I was playing for demanded it. After I bought it, the organist quit his job and the flugel just sat there.

2. mattc

mattc Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2009
    California
    I believe one person on this thread mentioned a brass only version. I recall the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble recording of Pictures (on vinyl, so it has been a while since I've heard it). Pic was appropriate in replacing other high parts.

As to wimping out, Phil Smith (NY Phil) uses a pic on for the Schmuyle part in his trumpet excerpts recording.

If I could wimp out like him, I'd be rather pleased with myself.:D

3. Phil

Phil Pianissimo User

Jun 7, 2009
    Cookeville
    This is entirely accurate; however, modern trumpets do the same thing. When we press down a valve, we are changing the length of the horn placing it in a different harmonic series thereby "transposing" the horn. Valves aren't miracle things that allow you to play notes without "transposing" the horn. We have a Bb trumpet that can be "transposed" into any key we want by changing what valves we press down, what makes it a Bb is that the natural length of the trumpet, the open valve combination, has a fundamental overtone of Bb.

Cornet is a great instrument that is extremely versatile. Canadian Brass has been known to use one trumpet and one cornet in many charts they play. Bud Herseth played on an 1886 cornet with a flugel mouthpiece in many pieces. There is a video on youtube of him backstage talking to James Dooley about playing an off-stage trumpet solo on it. To this day, Warren Vache still does all of his jazz recordings on a Yamaha cornet. Cornet is also played in the Jack Daniel's Silver Cornet Band, no trumpets allowed. Gerard Schwarz is another cornet example who played cornet in the New York Philharmonic.