C trumpets

Discussion in 'Horns' started by silverstar, Apr 5, 2005.

1. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Mr. Laureano,

I was wondering a couple of things about the C trumpet.

1.) How different are they from a bflat trumpet?
    2.) Do I need any special music or books to learn how to play C trumpet?
    3.) I plan on becoming a free-lance player and private lessons teacher during and after college, is a C trumpet something I should have?

Thanks!

Lara

2. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    a> they play in the key of c, concert pitch
    b>not REALLY
    c>they are great for orchestral/church kinda stuff also, they lessen the need for transposition

is that what you are planning on for your new horn?

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Besides their playing in concert pitch you'll find that most C trumpets have a slightly tighter feel, a bit more resistance, than the Bb trumpet. Most smaller horns will have that feel and it becomes a bit more so with each ascending pitched trumpet (D's, Eb's, etc.)

Intonation problems are slightly more pronounced as you get into the C trumpets and beyond. The lower register is easier and the upper register is easier up to a point and then can get squirrely because the targets for the notes are in slightly different places than the Bb.

While you don't need special books, you'll find that a good way to get your ear accustomed to playing in concert pitch is to play familiar etudes like Arban's and the like. I highly suggest playing jazz tunes that you know well and the sooner you get to do some light imrov on it the better. You'll find it puts you right at home. Watch out for scooping notes. This is the biggest disease young people playing C's for the first time face. It means you aren't sure of the center. Find the center of a low C and play it over and over until you can sit on it perfectly the first time. Then, try it on other notes.

Becoming a free-lance trumpeter means that you must be ready for any type of playing. That includes orchestral playing and in this country it means becoming completely familiar with the C trumpet. If you want to be highly marketable, you must include being able to play the Bb, C, D, Eb, and piccolo in A and Bb. Your transposition skills have to be excellent if you want more than an ordinary career as a freelancer. If your focus is on teaching you have to know how to do all those things a freelancer would in order to teach others when they come to you for advice or at least have an idea.

4. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    Lara if i were you i would get a super custom Bb or flugel, some of those pictures on the Eclipse web sight of the custom horns are beautiful, and since you won that contest they will do absolutly anything you want short of putting diamonds on the whole thing and making it solid gold, hey i mean you get a chance to build the design of the horn of your dreams and for free, i mean if your gonna be a bear be a grizzly, i havent had a chance to congratulate you but here it is coming from a high school student about the same age as you, i cant imagine how it must feel to be getting a FREE custom horn, the horn i have ordered will cost me COUNTLESS hours of sweat and slaving this summer at an aquaculture research center just too pay for half of it, all that time you will be enjoying your trumpet that came for free, i mean when i read it the other morning that you had won the thought just almost rendered me speechless, i would imagine it did the same to you, congratulation Lara.
    Collin McDougall.

5. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Thanks!

Hmm...now I have to go and let that settle into my decision-making process...which is slow because of lack of sleep.

Lara

6. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Lara;

First, COngratulations on winning the contest. You must be thoroughly excited.

Second, the only thing I'd add to the expert's advice is the same I'd say for anyone seeking any new horn -- find a good music shop and play about four or five different horns so you can get a good feel for them. At this point it doesn't matter which horn you end up liking the best -- just what characteristics you find you like.

As ML said, the C trumpets tend to feel tighter and definitely get "squirrelly" in the extreme upper registers. The other problem is that if you're used to the Bb sound, switching to a C takes some serious adjustment mentally. I typically have to practice mine for a few days before a gig or I end up with that 'scoop' ML was talking about -- it's simply becuase you're used to hearing concert Bb when you play C, not C. The brain is hearing one thing and the ears are hearing another.

So before you head over to the Eclipse folks to customize your horn, try as many out as you can so you know before you get there what sort of feel and sound you're after.

my 2 pence...

7. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    Lara,

As last year's winner in Leigh's contest, may I be so bold as to offer some unsolicited advice. I know you have a fine trumpet in the Yamaha. I followed your posts on TH, when you bought it. But this is a one chance in a million to acquire an Eclipse trumpet. If I were you, I'd go with a Bb in either medium yellow or medium red persuasion. You're going to play your Bb many more hours than a C, especially for the rest of your high school and college careers. You have hours and hours of playing ahead of you. You might as well optimize your hours of enjoyment (playing) in the years to come by selecting something you can play daily-that is a Bb.

I have an Eclipse C at home right now on what you might call an extended loan. I can play it any time I wish. But I play the Bb hundreds of hours for every one I play the C. That's just because in a non-professional symphony environment, there just isn't that much opportunity to play a C trumpet. Why would you want an Eclipse that spends most of it's time in a closet? And no matter how great a horn you think that Yamaha is, you haven't played an Eclipse yet. Save the Yammie for marching band and for football games. You don't want a clumsy trombone player turning the wrong way and nailing your Eclipse bell with his. But do yourself a favor and let Leigh build you a horn you can play and fall in love with over and over again for the rest of your playing career. The majority of trumpet players never need a C trumpet. I played in a symphony for 11 years and did all the transposing on a Bb. It can be done. As a matter of fact up until a few years ago, it was pretty common. From what I read, some very fine English symphony trumpet players still use a Bb as their primary instrument.

You have years to acquire, what is for you at this time, a secondary instrument. Grab yourself one of those play it every day Bb's, while you have the chance. You'll never regret it.

8. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    I agree with still trying. While your new horn may be a Cadillac, the Eclipse is a Ferrari.

9. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    S.T. I don't understand what you're talking about here. I've played in several "nonprofessional symphony" situations and all included plenty of parts in C, D, F and A (as well as Bb). We rented the same parts that the pro orchestras played.

Also, in church, there are many opportnities to play C.

I think if Lara plans on taking a run at being a pro trumpet, then a C is probably the next logical step. If she were just going to continue playing for fun, then I'd recommend the flugel. She's got a great Bb now. As good as the Eclipse is, she will not see a giant difference, IMHO. On resale she could only get around $1100 for the Yamaha, so financially I think it makes more sense to get a horn type that she doesn't already have.

Dave

10. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    Dave,

Every body is entitled to an opinion. If we ran a poll of TM members to see how many play symphony music on either a pro or amateur basis, I suspect the percentage would be pretty low-especially after one graduates from college. Are you trying to tell me that one can transpose into D, E, F etc. with a C, but can't make the transposition on a Bb? If you can't transpose on a Bb, you can't transpose on a C either. Now if you can't even transpose from C into Bb at church, I suppose you need to acquire a C trumpet.

There is a wide gulf indeed between the aspiration of being a professional, play- any- kind- of- music, trumpet player, and actually becoming one. My point was she will have the opportunity to play a Bb many, many more hours than a C-especially at her stage of development. She may never need that C. And asserting that a that there is no difference in the way a Yamaha plays as opposed to an Eclipse is another very big assumption indeed. I know you spent a few minutes playing one at ITG. I suspect that a longer play test would convince nearly anyone that they aren't the same in playability or quality. Of course if you can't tell the difference, then it really doesn't matter what you play. But the same logic would dictate that very few players acquire a Bb Eclipse, since any generic pro level trumpet is equal to an Eclipse. And most competent players are already playing a pro level horn of one type or another.

But in any case, Lara won the contest. So she will have to make up her own mind as to which instrument she wants.